1st Pork Butt

Unless I'm cooking more than two butts, I use only the top grate. I think I could get three on the top rack, but since I buy the two pack from Sam's, I've never had three butts (two or four). As Kevin said, access is much easier on the top grate and I know of no benefit to having the meat lower in the cooker.

Good luck with your first butt.

Use the top grate. Since the bottom is unused, take a pan, foil it, and place it on the bottom grate. This should help with the clean up. Oh! Than have a beer.... or three.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rolf Jacobsen:
Use the top grate. Since the bottom is unused, take a pan, foil it, and place it on the bottom grate. This should help with the clean up. Oh! Than have a beer.... or three.
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why not just take the bottom grate out completely when not in use?

I always use the top grate unless I need both then remove the bottom one from the WSM.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chad M. Anders:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rolf Jacobsen:
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why not just take the bottom grate out completely when not in use?

I always use the top grate unless I need both then remove the bottom one from the WSM. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. I always take the bottom grate out if I'm not cooking on it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Thomas Northen NJ:
Last question......10lb bone-in butt. Estimated cooking time at 225? 1.5hrs/lb a good estimate? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'd estimate longer at 225.

If you are that low (225) at the grate you will be more like 1.75-2hrs per lb. Also weight sometimes is not key, thickness and uniform size (nice and square/tight) is. If you are 225 dome you will be more like 250-270 grate if your therm is accurate.

Back