1st ever smoke…what did I do wrong?

Mark McKinniss

Hi folks. I wanted to get into smoking and after doing some research, I landed on the Weber WSM 18. Bought it on Sunday and smoked ribs on Monday.

Let me start at the end: the ribs turned out great!

I should say that I’ve never cooked with charcoal before, so I’m climbing two learning curves.

I read that for ribs, I should use 50 briquettes so I lit my 50 briquettes and got the nice clean smoke.

I also had read that I wanted to stabilize the temp, then add water to the pan and then add the food. Once the charcoal was hot, the grill was reading at 350. Too hot. When I addd water to the pan, my temp dropped to about 180. Too cold. So I lit another 25 briquettes or so and got the temp to 225. Then added the ribs and the temp fell again.

Bottom line…it took me like three hours to get the temp to where I wanted and I probably added new hot coals 6 or 7 times for a six hour cook. Based on what I’ve read, that seems like too much.

So…what do you think I did wrong? I really would like to not have to add new briquettes that often.

Ribs were good so that's a win in my book.

I'm not the expert but I like to sneak up on my target temp.

There are a number of good tips under the virtual weber bullet tab on the top under "operating tips"

And this one might be a good one to start on if you haven't read it already:

My only other suggestion is keep smoking and with practice it gets easier.

Hey Mark, I’m a wsm noob too. In addition to DanHoo’s excellent tips above, I found that firing up the wsm properly to begin with prevents trouble later:
https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/firing-up-weber-bullet-2/#minion

I use Minion method, but hands free:
D60EE98E-5FAA-4203-B0E2-71197E6157F2.jpeg

Also, another useful thread for me is:

'How much charcoal in my 18 1/2 WSM ?'
https://tvwbb.com/threads/how-much-charcoal-in-my-18-1-2-wsm.52925/

Probably like many newbies, I was used to my SSP where I intuitively knew how much charcoal was needed for each type of cook and measured out only that much, it’s like riding the metro- pay for only what I need. BUT with my wsm, I just load it up all the way, smoke what I need to, then close all vents to shut it down- like filling up the car tank and then drive as long as I need.

So I quickly ditched the messy briquettes counting and just set it and forget it.

Hope that helps, keep on learning

I agree with Dan's comments. But will add that the water pan should be filled right after you have added lit coals, and right after you put the main section of the cooker on the charcoal bowl. The cooker will come up to temp a lot more slowly, but you won't be chasing temperatures all over the place either. Using hot water from the tap will help get to temperature a little faster. I wouldn't recommend using boiling water....too much risk of an accident.

I have the 14.5 WSM so things will be a bit different. In my image I added 10 lit B&B briquettes to what you see (B&B charlogs). I measured the temperature from the side grommet. I added about 5 cup of water. Once the temperature reached 200F I added the ribs. All vents were wide open. At 230F I closed one completely and at 240 the remaining two were 1/4 open. I held 250 pretty much the rest of the time.

You'll get the hang of it. I've also found laying a table on its side to create a windscreen to be helpful

Attachments

• 20220905_115731.jpg
    20220905_115731.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 6
OK, good information above but, I walk a slightly different path.
You will find a technique that will work for you, experiment, failures can still be delicious!
For me, my technique I have shared several times but since it’s crazy easy I’ll do it one more time.
Per Harry Soo-I put smoke medium on the bottom of the charcoal grate (I use a full layer)
Per Enrico BrandizzI- I fill the charcoal ring as full as possible, heaping So it looks like Everest! Then, as Loc does, I light through the door with a torch for two to three minutes and close it up.
I don’t wrap, nor do I use water.
As my friend the President (UK) of The International Society of The Devoted Persuers of Hephaestus says:
“Light it up, close it up and walk away!”
Case in point, this past weekend, I filled ev up and touched off the bullet at 18:00 and setting the rear two vents at ~30% front at full open. Everything settled in at about 230* and about ten I went to bed. Next morning about 06:00 checked temperatures,
brisket was about 188 bullet was reading 246* rolled over and spent back to sleep. 08:00 decided I should get up and make some coffee. Brisket 197 pit- 245 about 09:30 brisket read 202 pit still steady at 240.
it was time to probe…soft as a summer breeze! Pulled the brisket off dbl. wrapped in foil towels and into the cooler.
I added three fireplace shovels full of charcoal to the bullet as there were things which needed a few hours there later.
In short, once YOU find the sweet spot, it’s easy and remember charcoal is cheap. “Fill it up, light it up and walk away!” Will come in time.

There's a lot of different ways of doing it.
I'm going to guess the majority of people don't use the water pan
They also will target higher temperatures for shorter cook times

The amount of coals that you start is going to determine where your smoker settles in it on temperature
Also, are you using a different thermometer or going by the dome thermometer? Sometimes a dome thermometer can be reading the same as when you put on the grate.... And sometimes it will be different. It all depends on the air currents inside and the block of meat that you have in there.

Having a big pan of water to heat up also will delay how long takes it to reach a steady state condition. Maybe taking hours at a lower temperature like 225.

As far as cooking goes, the only difference between 225 and 300 is the amount of time it takes it to get done. Now that is important..... For some things that you're not cooking with a thermometer in them...... Like ribs. We usually use time as an indicator for ribs. And it's really frustrating to have it take hours longer than you were expecting because the smoker temperature was actually lower. I think many people's first supplementary purchase is a electronic wireless thermometer that lets them monitor the grate and meat temperatures remotely . It was mine. Got tired of going in and out in the cold rain.

You will find what you like best, just keep doing it.

Now I'm going to tell you why I use a temperature controller. Because I don't have to worry about it, or mess with things. There's no counting coals, or "methods". I just set the temperature on the controller and let it do its thing. I put an amount of lit charcoal in my basket that will last the entire cook...(My coal basket is a little extended and it can go easily over 25 hours... Without ever adding any new coals). And then I spread some lit coals out on top depending on what temperature I'm looking for. For 350 + F I use a full chimney. For about 250 to 275 I use half of chimney. Just dumping on top, spread it out evenly, close her up and let the controller do its thing. Pretty much set it and forget it . I cook some barbecue chicken on Sunday at 370 F.

Last edited:
Oh, I don’t use a temp controller simply because,I’m cheap! A very good bbq buddy has had them and says he didn’t care for them. I’m pretty simple in my approach. And I very much feel that one should learn to use the bullet as it was designed before adding too many “Aids”. Basic technique will be its own reward in the long run. One CRITICAL thing to keep in mind, it’s Barbecue, it will be done when it’s done and you can’t rush it and expect good results. I have learned to start the project an hour earlier than I think it will need (if not more) and for larger pieces of protein (butts, brisket, etc.) the long rest if they come out earlier is NOT a mistake, this past brisket had a 7 hour rest and was still perfectly hot, moist and delicious. You will find your path, experiment, ask questions and share results!

Oh, I don’t use a temp controller simply because,I’m cheap! A very good bbq buddy has had them and says he didn’t care for them. I’m pretty simple in my approach. And I very much feel that one should learn to use the bullet as it was designed before adding too many “Aids”. Basic technique will be its own reward in the long run. One CRITICAL thing to keep in mind, it’s Barbecue, it will be done when it’s done and you can’t rush it and expect good results. I have learned to start the project an hour earlier than I think it will need (if not more) and for larger pieces of protein (butts, brisket, etc.) the long rest if they come out earlier is NOT a mistake, this past brisket had a 7 hour rest and was still perfectly hot, moist and delicious. You will find your path, experiment, ask questions and share results!

Waking up at 4:30 a.m. with the brisket cooled to 140 because the fire went out due to ash...... Was my first impetus towards making it more reliable and hands off. The WSM is simple, but it's not something you can ignore for many hours. The temperature can drift up, or the temperature can drift down depending on what the fire does, and what ash buildup causes. And every time you lift that lid to spritz or something, The fire takes off over shoots and has to come back down over time. It can take a long time without something that automatically controls the air flow to bring it down faster. Controller with the blower / damper is just about making it easy on yourself.

I agree, learn how to manipulate vents....
Learn that you got to knock down ash after six or seven hours....
Learn that the temperature shoots up every time you open it....maybe 50F.... And can take a long time to drop.
Learn that there's air leaks you got to get tightened up or sometimes you can't ever get the temperature down to where you want it to be in first place....

Then realize you can overcome all these problems, and make it easier for yourself
Even Harry Soo used controller...... He used a stoker

Last edited:
Waking up at 4:30 a.m. with the brisket cooled to 140 because the fire went out due to ash...... Was my first impetus towards making it more reliable and hands off. The WSM is simple, but it's not something you can ignore for many hours. The temperature can drift up, or the temperature can drift down depending on what the fire does, and what ash buildup causes. And every time you lift that lid to spritz or something, The fire takes off over shoots and has to come back down over time. It can take a long time without something that automatically controls the air flow to bring it down faster. Controller with the blower / damper is just about making it easy on yourself.

I agree, learn how to manipulate vents....
Learn that you got to knock down ash after six or seven hours....
Learn that the temperature shoots up every time you open it....maybe 50F.... And can take a long time to drop.
Learn that there's air leaks you got to get tightened up or sometimes you can't ever get the temperature down to where you want it to be in first place....

Then realize you can overcome all these problems, and make it easier for yourself
Even Harry Soo used controller...... He used a stoker
No argument from me, some people get caught up in wanting all the jimcracks and gee gaws before they understand how the unit is designed to work.
Yep, I’ve had flame outs, ash build up issues as everyone will have but, that’s all part of the learning curve.
I learned early on not to get caught up with chasing the 5 degree window, it’s frustrating and unnecessary. It’s not something one can master right out of the gate, it takes PRACTICE. Everyone,learns what works for them. I just had a 14 hour cook without touching the smoker one time. Nothing but, looking at the double probe readout. It can be as complicated or as simple as one desires, I choose the less is more trail.

Mark -- imo, there's no reason to drag out the heating up and stabilizing process.

The cooker is never going to be stable until everything is in there. So each time you add something one at a time, you are de-stabilizing the cooker.

So light it and make sure the fire is well lit. I don't wait for thin blue smoke or anything like that. Put in everything that is going in -- water and cold food. Keep all vents full open, and then throttle the temp back once -- as the fully loaded cooker heats up.

Always fill up the charcoal ring so you don't have to add coals later. The only variable is how many coals you light to start. That will vary based on target temp, water or no water, ambient temperature, wind, etc. Can be as little as 10-15 coals or as many as a full chimney.

General note about using water. The primary function of the big water pan is to suppress temp. You use up a LOT of BTUs heating many quarts of water up to 212F and then converting that water (while holding at 212F) into steam. It is very inefficient -- like heating the house with all the windows open or driving with your foot on the brake.

So if you want to get up to temp sooner, use hot water. And use less water to start -- especially for a shorter hotter cook like ribs -- you can always add more later. Or, eventually, forget about the water all together.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the responses. I’m intrigued by the idea of not using water. I guess with the WSM it’s not likely to get too hot?

Water in the water pan is good insurance if you're new to the WSM. I also think the moisture does help with smoke flavor on ribs, brisket, and pork butt. The downside is the messy clean up on aisle 5. I run my 22.5" dry all the time. Once you master the art of fire building, then maintaining temps without the water pan isn't that hard to do.

I use a doughnut minion method where I fill the ring with charcoal, and then you can tuck your fire starters into the middle, light em' up and wait 15 or 20 minutes, then put the smoker together and start dialing in the temps, or you can take the charcoals out of the middle and light em' in a chimney and dump em' back in. Both methods work.

Using briquettes is easier because they are very consistent in size, and therefore the rate of ignition is a bit more consistent. If you want to use lump, you need to break up the longer pieces to make sure they don't spread the fire too fast from the middle to the edge of the fire ring.

I’m only on my 4th cook in 2 weeks on the wsm. I opted to learn by not using water as insurance. For me, it was one less variable that I had to fiddle with, considering the already smorgasbord of wsm charcoal lighting choices, lump vs briqs, multiple vents needing a walkaround to adjust, a layer cake of racks needing rotation, then to this chaos add in choice of hot vs cold water….aghhhh! Curse you evil rube goldberg bullet!$&$!?!

I’m intrigued by the idea of not using water. I guess with the WSM it’s not likely to get too hot?

As John correctly notes, water is insurance against the cooker getting too hot. Since the water can't ever get hotter than 212F (#physics), a couple gallons of hot water basically assures that the cooker is never going to get very hot. No matter how big your fire is.

But once you get the hang of the cooker, you may not need much water (or any water) to manage your temp. In which case the water is just there to add some moisture. Which maybe you want, maybe you don't. And you can also add moisture by spritzing.

Lots of folks use a dry pan (or pizza pan or flower pot saucer or firedial) as a heater deflector and use no water or just a little bit.

Lots of great advice here, I'll just add a couple of my points.
If the ribs were good, you really didn't do anything wrong. The whole goal is to cook good food, and you did that.
Not traditional, but I now do my ribs hot and fast, running at 400F for 2 hours, and they come out great every time. Perfect/stable temps are highly overrated. Find what works for you, go for it, and don't sweat it.
Good luck.

Lots of great advice here, I'll just add a couple of my points.
If the ribs were good, you really didn't do anything wrong. The whole goal is to cook good food, and you did that.
Not traditional, but I now do my ribs hot and fast, running at 400F for 2 hours, and they come out great every time. Perfect/stable temps are highly overrated. Find what works for you, go for it, and don't sweat it.
Good luck.
Does it matter what kind of ribs you are cooking for the two hours? I used to do something similar on my gas grill (or charcoal) but it was in foil for one hour at about 400F followed by 15 minutes with a little wood unwrapped. They came out good but much less smoke flavor.

No one has said anything “Wrong” OR “Harsh” which is so delightfully refreshing on the internet. I understand the theory behind the use of the water pan but as I said early in this thread, I’m lazy, I hate cleaning up greasy funky messes. I didn’t start using the bullet until after I’d spent a few months on this forum. I saw points being made in both directions with respect to water pan use either with water, sand, gravel, whatever, the other school of terracotta plant saucer wrapped in foil appealed to my inherent, laziness. So, I got an end of season deal on one and the BIG box of foil from the food service people and have never looked back. so much for the water pan for me.
Vents? Well the “hot reach around” can be difficult, even painful, but, with practice, you will get that sorted out too, I built a windscreen which has been discussed several times before so, I will not go into that here. It has made the wind issue pretty much a non issue for me but, before I made it I had lots of control problems with wind.
Much to learn, much to share. Many feasts to enjoy!

Does it matter what kind of ribs you are cooking for the two hours? I used to do something similar on my gas grill (or charcoal) but it was in foil for one hour at about 400F followed by 15 minutes with a little wood unwrapped. They came out good but much less smoke flavor.
I've done both babybacks and St Louis, both were temped right around 205 at the 2 hr mark, though St Louis take a little longer with the traditional low and slow.

I’ve never done hot fast ribs on the smoker, I have on the kettle though, with excellent results. Might just need to do a little freezer diving…

Back