1st Cornish Hen attempt....

Glenn W

TVWBB Guru
Seasoned with Lawry's poultry seasoning, used left over lump and briqs with apple for smoke. The OTG stayed around 315 the whole time.
Threw on some sweet taters and wife done up some veggies with cheese.

Taters were on for 1.25 hrs and the bird for 50 min.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Skin was perfect, was not impressed with the taste though
icon_frown.gif

Guess I should of marinated, any way thanks for veiwing!

Well, they look good.

Marinate, sure, but time is needed. Quicker, make a flavorful compound butter and work it under the skin at the breast and thighs, and do your best to get it to the leg meat. Be deliberate and patient so you avoid tearing the skin. Rub the outside of the birds with the compound butter, and the inside cavities as well.

Looks great! I do these at least one or two times a month... I make up a batch of roadside, marinate two little birds overnight and cook on the performer. One of my favorite cooks of all!

Great looking chicken and sides. Cornish hens definitely needs some type of brine or marinade IMO. The last ones I did I split them and marinaded them for 24 hours in Roadside. Some of the best Roadside chicken I have had so far.

They certainly do look good!
I like Kevin's idea of the butter under the skin, done that with a garlic butter and, although it was a chicken, it was super moist and very tasty.
Glenn, this looks great!

Back