1st Cookout with new Genesis

MikeTr

Every four years or so I'll chuck the old rusty backyard grill and buy a shinny new one. I usually drive out to Lowe's or Home Depot and get a medium priced stainless for around $300.00. I retired a couple years back and this time I thought I'd treat myself and "double-down" on a Weber ... my first BTW. I looked at the Weber Spirit and almost pulled the trigger until I wandered over to the Genesis and pulled up on the hood. Wow ... much heavier. More substantial grill all the way around plus Lowe's has it in a nice looking brown. They put it together, delivered it and carted away the old Charmglow. No charge.
After delivery I did the soap leak test and ran it on high for 30 minutes ... no issues. Then I decided to grill some chicken and fresh veggies using my new Weber vegetable basket. Worked perfectly.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000WEIJUW/tvwb-20
All in all I'm very happy with this grill. Gets hot enough quickly and cooks evenly wherever I put the pieces at. I like the propane fuel gauge and the cover I bought last year fits perfectly.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000HCR89W/tvwb-20

BTW, I purposely flipped the cooking grates over because chicken sauce sticks really bad and I'd like to keep the flat side pristine for great grill marks on steaks. At least for the first ones.

WOW its so Shiny and new!!! Looks great, and what a good first cook to start it off with! Congrats on the new grill!

Thanks. I'm hoping to have this one a little longer than usual!

Many of us have Genesis gas grills that are still in service for 15 plus years. My Genesis is a 1996 model that I just rehabbed. I works as good as a brand new model and Weber still sells most of the parts for the old units. Can't find that with most other brands. With proper maintenance, you can use that new beauty for 20 ++++ years. Congrats on a great grill.

Do you have any of the Weber charcoal grills or smokers? Weber's can be addictive!!! It is however a wonderful addiction.

Nice choice, You're going to have that grill for a long time. I have an 2009 E320 and a 1999 genesis that I bought new and the only thing I've ever replaced was the flavorizer bars. It still cooks like the day I bought it.

Mike,

Your food looks nice!

I don't know if those are TVWBB amazon affiliate links but if they're not that's pretty bad form, since this site is partially supported by amazon affiliate revenue.

I'll jump in and say congratulations on that beautiful grill sir!

Do the new Genesis models have three burners, left to right?

The old ones (like I have) have the burners close, near and far from you.

The reason I'm asking is because for indirect cooks, the left / right probably gives you more options, especially with a bird or a veggie tray like in your delicious pictures.

Great buy, welcome and slainte!

Tim

Hi Tim, The new models have three burners running front to back. BTW I cooked that chicken using in-direct heat. Just turn on the two outside burners leaving the center burner off and pile everything in the middle.

Last edited:
Hi Mike, our old ones have the burners running the other way, like left to right. Indirect cooks are a little more challenging, but not insurmountable.

Enjoy!

Gotta go tend to some veggies and beef :)

Thanks. I'm hoping to have this one a little longer than usual!
Very nice, and smart move on doubling down. I've had my Genesis for 21 or 22 years. I'm actually on here today to ask questions about the new Genesis as I'm going to retire my old red head. I've rebuilt her twice and this time around I think I'm going to invest in a new one.

Nice grill, it will bring you many years of enjoyment and great grub!

Great looking grill. I was checking them out this morning at Home Depot. They are built very well and the quality shines thru everywhere. The grease pan looks easy to clean too. It'll be my next gasser.

Back