1st cook with Hunsaker Griddle

I scrap it clean with a stiff flat spatula, then while the grate is still warm I wipe any remaining food off with a damp paper towel....let it dry then put on a fresh coat of oil, let that sit for a bit....then wipe off excess oil. Then I hang it up inside my grilling storage closet in the basement. I oil and clean both sides. Pretty similar to how you deal with cast iron.

I scrap it clean with a stiff flat spatula, then while the grate is still warm I wipe any remaining food off with a damp paper towel....let it dry then put on a fresh coat of oil, let that sit for a bit....then wipe off excess oil. Then I hang it up inside my grilling storage closet in the basement. I oil and clean both sides. Pretty similar to how you deal with cast iron.

Thanx Kyle; reason I asked is that I recently bought the Hunsaker Vortex Plate(HVP) to use in my WSM 18" Classic when doing a "hanging Cook" for Ribs and chicken. The HVP partially covers the WSM Charcoal Ring to give an indirect cooking effect, however, my concern is what to do with the grease that drips directly on the HVP. Do I do a clean-up after each cook or just leave it there untouched to give-it a seasoning effect??

Thanx Kyle; reason I asked is that I recently bought the Hunsaker Vortex Plate(HVP) to use in my WSM 18" Classic when doing a "hanging Cook" for Ribs and chicken. The HVP partially covers the WSM Charcoal Ring to give an indirect cooking effect, however, my concern is what to do with the grease that drips directly on the HVP. Do I do a clean-up after each cook or just leave it there untouched to give-it a seasoning effect??
If it's made out of the same metal material as the griddle then I would clean it after each use.

Back