1st chicken on my wsm

Michael Goldman

TVWBB Fan
O.k. Gang, will be doing my 1st "beer can chicken"without the beer can.plan is 1 full chimney hot kb spread,a 1/2 unlit on top. 4 pcs apple wood.. Shooting to cook for it 160-165.foiled empty water pan,foiled saucer.. Planning for 300-325 cook temp.. Will post results and hope fully pics..

Ok ,here is my report. Over the years i have cooked many beer can chickens on my 22 inch weber kettle.. However, this i think was the best chicken i have ever cooked.the wsm did a great job.prepared chicken ,peanut oil, my own rub,montreal chicken rub,mcormick chicken rub,salt,pepper,paprika,lemon pepper,grillmates chicken rub.took about 2 hours at around 300 degrees.i pulled off at 160,when i started to separate leg,it looked like it need a little more cook. I put that bad boy in the oven for about 1/2 hour at 350. When it came out the flavored juice in the pan was fantastic. Chicken was done and very moist. Just the right amount of apple smoke.very happy with the results. Will for sure do this cook again. I will try to post pictures tonight or tomorrow...

The skin was very good. Not very crispy ,but good. Next time i think no peanut oil. Having a bad time trying to post pictures. Photobucket is giving me a hard time. Will try tomorrow..

Last edited:
I have had trouble posting images, too. Be sure your link ends with a valid image extenstion, like *.jpg. Many of the popular hosting sites give you an encrypted URL. Sometimes it's difficult to locate the URL that ends with the name of the image file. What I do sometimes is find the photo, then right click on it and select the option, "Copy Image Location". Then, I test it in another window. There should be easier ways. But, that's what I have had to do.

The skin was very good. Not very crispy ,but good. Next time i think no peanut oil. Having a bad time trying to post pictures. Photobucket is giving me a hard time. Will try tomorrow..

D.i was getting a little nervous ,being that it was looking like it was done. Did not want it to be dry.next time i will know better. However ,as i said ,bird came out wonderful..

Back