1st butts and temp question

ChaseW

TVWBB Member
I am cooking my first attempt at butts today. I have 2 5-6 pound butts on the 22.5. This is my 4th cook so I'm still running a little hot. I have 2 vents completely closed and one only open 25% on bottom and can't get below 260. I'm sitting at 260 for an hour now. Should I worry about trying to get between 225 and 250 or just let it ride at 260? Anything else I can do to get 25 lower? I started with a full ring and a 1/2 lit chimney minion method. Here are a few initial pics, I'll post more when it's done. I'm using the Chris Lilly injection and rub.
01096321-0DE7-4C1F-9268-43E4396D37CE_zpsutopkmyw.jpg

5E1E77CF-FDFC-45C5-A669-A3BF3F4D09C8_zpsibsb1x0j.jpg

A76C037A-E6B1-40DD-8352-9B507E652EC7_zpss4wjwyiu.jpg

Just let it go at 260. My WSM has always settled around 265 - 270 so that is where I let it ride. Good luck with the cook.

Leave it at 260 you will be fine.
Or......
Try closing the last vent and see if the temp goes down then open it up again when you get your desired temp.
But if you really want to go lower I suppose you can splash water on the fire to kill it a little.

I look forward to the final results....

butts are so forgiving, as others have said, 260 will be just fine. I also play with the top vent...you might want to partially close it.

Thanks for the help!

I am 4 hours in, the WSM has been sitting at 248-250 with all three bottom vents closed and top at 50%. Smaller butt is at 165 internal. I just sprayed with Apple juice and will let it keep rolling.
IMG_1838_zpsfed7a382.jpg

So, what time are we coming over?
Seriously, check your door. It could be letting air in causing your temp to stay a little higher than you wanted. My friends door was out of shape, and once we bent it a little it made a big difference.

Mark, I think that is exactly where I'm getting air in. The door and I had a one hour bend session last week and I just resided to the fact that I can't get it perfect. IDK.

I am 6 hours into the cook and the small butt is at 171 and pit is at 250. It dipped down to 220 once so I stirred the coals to drop some ash and opened two bottom vents to 50% and the temp is now pegged at 250.

My door fit fairly tight from the get go, so I'm lucky that way. I also got lucky and got one of the first 18s with a grommet.
Alan
do you have any tips on cutting into that porcelain? I think I may be able to talk one of the guys at work out of their old ones.

Obviously I'm late to the party, but 260 is a good temp for butts. Remember, you're trying to get an internal temp of 190-200ish, so a 225 pit temp isn't much of a difference. As long as I'm between 250-300, I let it ride and do it's thing.

Update----

10 hours in and the maverick probe in the smaller butt is reading 188. I probed with an instant read digital thermometer and got ranges of readings from 185-195. Still doesn't feel tender everywhere and bones are still in pretty tight so I'm going to let it keep going for a while. The chickens are at about 150 in the breast so they can go for a bit too. WSM is cruising at 250 even with having to have the lid open for long periods of time to remove top rack and probe chickens on middle rack.

Just pulled the first butt off at exactly 12 hours. Internal temp was 195-200 in most spots. Bone is falling out. I have it foiled resting. The other one will need another 30- hour.
EC9EC222-0B7B-4A2A-B9C5-ACA6B488DD36_zps3alj01vh.jpg

I pulled a strand off the top and that thing is RIGHT. My wife hates pork (which is why I did some pulled chicken for her) but she tore a piece and said "That stuff is good right there." I guess that's the best compliment I can ask for.

Finished product- 14 hours + $10 worth of boston butt + $10 worth of kingsford = 11 lbs of pulled pork. Foodsaver will be here tomorrow so that $10 worth of meat will get us through a football game tomorrow and have some left to freeze for weeks to come.
3E1046BC-80BD-47EC-8BA2-9E5BCDB324DA_zpsnmmh9s5q.jpg

Chase --- that looks and reads great. You're an ol' pro at this stuff. To be honest, I wasn't much of a pork fan other than the occasional chops on the gasser until I got the WSM. Now, I can't get enough of the stuff. Butts, ribs, loins... Our beef intake has decreased ten-fold. Given my experience, I say there's hope for your wife to change her mind. :D

Great work Chase!! Looks great!! Being as you are from Greenville I hope you are pulling for the Tigers tomorrow!! Hope it see you at the game ( I am coming to the tailgate if you have that PP there) My WSM likes to run about 260 and I think that is fine for butts

Back