1st Brisket on the Akorn Auto Kamado

Rick P

TVWBB Pro
This is the 2nd cook, but the first brisket, on the grill. I've always wanted a Kamado, but am too cheap to pay the big $$$ for a BGE or Kamado Joe. Someone in another thread posted that this was on sale at Wally World, for 1/2 price. At $232.00 OTD, I couldn't pass it up.
This is also my first experience with an ATC and low n' slow with lump. That's a 10lb prime packer, from Costco.akorn.jpgakorn brisket.jpg

Awesome! I think we bought at the same time. I just did my first cook last Sunday and it was also a packer.
The thing just cruises along!

As far as kamados go, for $230, how can you go wrong with something like this? Even at normal retail of $500, it's a bargain for a kamado, even without the ATC.

Awesome! I think we bought at the same time. I just did my first cook last Sunday and it was also a packer.
The thing just cruises along!
After 10 hours, the temp dipped below 200, (it was set at 240), and wouldn't rise, regardless of how much the fan blew. I ended up finishing it the oven. Something similar happened when I did a pork butt. Not sure what happened, because there was plenty of charcoal left. I don't know if it's me, (probably), or the charcoal, (B&B lump). The lump is a couple years old, and stored in the shed. Not sure if the humidity got to it, or what. It seems like it's okay.

I stacked the pieces, and lit them, just like the directions say, and the youtube videos show. I'm going to pick up some "fresh" lump and try again. I rarely use lump in the kettles, (and never in the WSM), so I'm not used to cooking with it. I'll get the hang of it.

After 10 hours, the temp dipped below 200, (it was set at 240), and wouldn't rise, regardless of how much the fan blew. I ended up finishing it the oven. Something similar happened when I did a pork butt. Not sure what happened, because there was plenty of charcoal left. I don't know if it's me, (probably), or the charcoal, (B&B lump). The lump is a couple years old, and stored in the shed. Not sure if the humidity got to it, or what. It seems like it's okay.

I stacked the pieces, and lit them, just like the directions say, and the youtube videos show. I'm going to pick up some "fresh" lump and try again. I rarely use lump in the kettles, (and never in the WSM), so I'm not used to cooking with it. I'll get the hang of it.
Mine did that after 14 hours on a L&S butt cook friday.
That was a lack of fuel on my part. I guesstimated a amount of B&B charlogs that obviously wasn't enough.
The brisket I did somewhat HH 325 for 7 hrs and I still had some fuel left. Go fiqure.

Mine did that after 14 hours on a L&S butt cook friday.
That was a lack of fuel on my part. I guesstimated a amount of B&B charlogs that obviously wasn't enough.
The brisket I did somewhat HH 325 for 7 hrs and I still had some fuel left. Go fiqure.
I'm still new at this Kamado thing...and using lump for low n' slow. I'll figure it out. Half the fun is the journey ;)

Back