1998 "Greenie" restoration - Weber Genesis 1000

I was shocked when I saw the warming rack in the skyline I bought. All the others I bought and flipped I never saw one.

Good to know. I am working on 3 right now, that all have baskets with heavy rust. Looks like the going rate is $15 to $25 to replace. I found one place called Bonanza for $6 but some of the reviews on Google are sketchy.

Yah, I rarely replace the hanging baskets or the warming racks. I did get a great deal on some warming racks ($6) last year and bought 4 or 5 and only have one left now. But, unless they are nearly new to begin with, I just toss them if they are even still there. It doesn't seem to be a big selling point for buyers. If they ask, I just tell them they can get a new one at HD for about $15. Since they are just chrome coated carbon steel, they are going to be rusty messes in a year any way.

I'm in the process of rehabbing a 2000 Greenie. I'm not terribly skilled when it comes to wood work. When heading to Home Depot, what are the dimensions of the wood boards I can expect to find there? Any thoughts and help with the process of measuring, cutting, drilling is greatly appreciated. I have a Ryobi saw. I was going to use the existing wood, but it's not in great shape. I've picked up Oak stain and spar finish. Thanks in advance.

These, just cut to length you have to go thru a few trying to pick out ones that have the least amount of knots if any.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-in-x-...t-Kiln-Dried-Cedar-Board-C-BP102K08/206460933

They are in the specialty wood section which has the clear pine.

Great, thank you. It looks like they have this size in pine at my local Depot. Had to order a new lock pin for my miter saw, as it's in the locked position and won't release without the pin. I've still got plenty of work to do on the interior of the firebox and painting of the outer sides of the lid.

Last edited:
Great, thank you. It looks like they have this size in pine at my local Depot. Had to order a new lock pin for my miter saw, as it's in the locked position and won't release without the pin. I've still got plenty of work to do on the interior of the firebox and painting of the outer sides of the lid.

I would not use pine the cedar is way more weather resistant and for the price of those boards not sure why you would use pine.

Back