1950s grills

Hi Heather:
Yep, Weber did make a gas kettle style grill back in the day. Not sure when exactly but they didn't make a whole lot of them as they were not considered very good cookers. But they are now highly prized by collectors. I cannot say I have seen one for sale, but I don't look specifically for them either.

We have a large collection of old Weber catalogs and brochures in this subforum:

Per the Weber grills timeline, the first Weber gas kettles were offered in 1971.

This 1972 catalog introduces the new Weber gas kettles.

They do come up for sale...I don't own one and I don't know if they work or how well they work.

First Weber Genesis came out in 1985.

We have a large collection of old Weber catalogs and brochures in this subforum:

Per the Weber grills timeline, the first Weber gas kettles were offered in 1971.

This 1972 catalog introduces the new Weber gas kettles.

They do come up for sale...I don't own one and I don't know if they work or how well they work.

First Weber Genesis came out in 1985.
Chris, I love those old catalogs. I'm watching for the missing years so I can contribute.

Heather,
I saw one in Michigan last winter. They pop up occasionally, probably mostly in the Midwest. It is hard to find one in decent working condition. Those who have actually used them back in the day say they were NOT good cookers, so the reason to have one is mostly historical novelty - which wouldn't stop me from buying one :coolkettle: ! It was a big deal when Weber opted to pursue a more conventional gas grill - and then engineered the masterpiece that became the Genesis we all love.

Tim it looks okay on my Laptop.

I guess I am adding my annoying self to another Weber forum.

Last edited:
Heather,
I saw one in Michigan last winter. They pop up occasionally, probably mostly in the Midwest. It is hard to find one in decent working condition. Those who have actually used them back in the day say they were NOT good cookers, so the reason to have one is mostly historical novelty - which wouldn't stop me from buying one :coolkettle: ! It was a big deal when Weber opted to pursue a more conventional gas grill - and then engineered the masterpiece that became the Genesis we all love.

Why is it you think it’s easier to find in the Midwest?

Back