1880 parts

Have you tried the ones from a 14.5, or a Smokey Joe for fit?
Perhaps Weber might have a secret stash?

The original top cooking grate is SS. A Smokey Joe grate will fit, however, it's a little tight on mine. I'm curious how the new 14.5 wsm grate would fit, though, I think it's the same grate as the Smokey Joe. I imagine you could have one made at a ridiculously high price but if that's the only part you need to have it restored, you may have to go that route.

The top grill is original and is not ss. Tried a grate from a sj and it would not fit. Trying not to have to call weber or order online. So far have found no one with round grates at all including a weber dealer in fresno. I can still use the original but want to get a head start in finding a replacement. Thanks !

The top grill is original and is not ss.

Interesting. Mine is SS. I just assumed it to be original and wouldn't think someone would add a SS grate to it but that's certainly possible. I think Chris got a 1880 in the box. He may know what the original was made of - just out of curiosity.

[Found his post on the 1880. The grate does look to be stainless. http://virtualweberbullet.com/history_photos/1880_2.jpg ]

I like the link provided by JColey to michaels custom grill works. I might get one made. My goal was to keep the original in good shape so I wouldn't bother if the one I have is found not to be the original. I'll just go ahead and use it.

The sj did fit, but it was very tight. Take a grinder to it and it will work in a pinch. It's just a little large for the 1880.

Last edited:
George, a top grate from the 14.5" WSM should fit your 1880. My 14.5" and 1880 grates both measure 13.5" in diameter. Might have to bundle that grate with some other parts and place an order with Weber.

Not sure if my 1880 grate is stainless. It doesn't seem to be anything special.

Not sure if my 1880 grate is stainless. It doesn't seem to be anything special.

Good point. I guess I thought the grate was stainless but now I'm not sure. I know it's not the typical chrome plated grate we see today, but I guess that doesn't make it stainless.

Yea, spent some time on the 1880 today. Measured the original grate and its about 13 5/8. The regular sj grate is 1/8 wider. Just makes one wonder why weber felt they needed to make 2 grates so close to each other instead of just making one fit both. Anyway, it's on the back burner as I attack the rusted bolts and shine it up. Thanks all !

Went to orchard supply here which is a weber dealer and well stocked. They had sj grates and I measured one and its still bigger than the wsm grate so that is a no go. The original is rusted but it will be functional after a heavy cleaning so I'll just go with that untill I ever need to order from weber which will probably be never.

I know they're supposed to be the same, but have you ever measured one from a current 14.5 incher? Do they have the same part number?

jerry, i assume you mean the new 14.5 wsm. no, i have not seen one to be able to measure. the orchard supply store i went to had one when they first came out but does not have one now. will keep an eye out. wonder if they would notice if i switched grates. naw, i don't do that kind of stuff.

Back