18" WSM - Water in Water Pan?

Joe V in TX

If cooking at 275F, is using water in the water pan still recommended? At what target temp should the water pan be left empty? My understanding is the water if for keeping temps down rather than adding moisture to the meat.

I use a half full Brinkmann pan for all of my cooks. That’s the way I’ve always done it Also, I use the Cajun Bandit charcoal ring if it’s going to be a long cook.
I do high heat cooks on my kettle, not my WSM. I don’t consider 275 to be high heat.

If cooking at 275F, is using water in the water pan still recommended? At what target temp should the water pan be left empty? My understanding is the water if for keeping temps down rather than adding moisture to the meat.

Yep you are correct Sir!
Any heat sink IMHO is not needed at 275. All I use is a empty foiled pan ( with an airspace )

Tim

In my 14 WSM,I know mine with a full basket of KBB, minion method with 12 to 15 briquettes, boiling water, and all vents open mine will settle in at 250 and stay there the whole cook. If I do the same thing with Weber charcoal still using water it settles in between 275-285. However, if I wanted to use KBB and run it at 275 I would go water pan empty.

I have not used water in years, no matter what cooking temperature (though I'm usually cooking at 225, 250, or 300). I'm sure that using a Stoker makes my waterless cooking easier, but if the Stoker died tomorrow I would buy something to replace it before I would even consider going back to using water in the pan.

Little agreement on this subject. In my write-up on using a water pan in the WSM, I recommend water for cooking low & slow 225-275*F and no water for high-temp cooks above 275*F. Many people use water in all sorts of smokers, not just the WSM. Despite what people say to the contrary, it not only helps control temp but it also creates a moist cooking environment that aids in smoke ring formation in addition to whatever spritzing you do of the meat. And I've never found water disposal to be a big hassle if you do it right.

If you don't believe me and my 23 years experience, believe Meathead. I taught him everything he knows. (joke :D) From his site:
  • Water vapor mixes with combustion gasses to improve the flavor.
  • Water vapor condenses on the meat and makes it "sticky" allowing more smoke to adhere. This smoke enhances flavor and sodium nitrite in the smoke creates the smoke ring.
  • The humidity keeps the meat surface moist, it evaporates and cools the meat, and that slows cooking . This allows more time for connective tissues and fats to melt.
This is not to say that you cannot make fine barbecue with an empty water pan. Professionals not using water typically spritz during cooking to keep the meat surface moist and cool. Backyarders may skip spritzing and water in the pan and be perfectly satisfied with the results; I don't question their results or satisfaction.

In my 14 WSM,I know mine with a full basket of KBB, minion method with 12 to 15 briquettes, boiling water, and all vents open mine will settle in at 250 and stay there the whole cook. If I do the same thing with Weber charcoal still using water it settles in between 275-285. However, if I wanted to use KBB and run it at 275 I would go water pan empty.

Thanks Michael, interesting observation, the Weber vs KKB charcoal.

Little agreement on this subject. In my write-up on using a water pan in the WSM, I recommend water for cooking low & slow 225-275*F and no water for high-temp cooks above 275*F. Many people use water in all sorts of smokers, not just the WSM. Despite what people say to the contrary, it not only helps control temp but it also creates a moist cooking environment that aids in smoke ring formation in addition to whatever spritzing you do of the meat. And I've never found water disposal to be a big hassle if you do it right.

If you don't believe me and my 23 years experience, believe Meathead. I taught him everything he knows. (joke :D) From his site:
  • Water vapor mixes with combustion gasses to improve the flavor.
  • Water vapor condenses on the meat and makes it "sticky" allowing more smoke to adhere. This smoke enhances flavor and sodium nitrite in the smoke creates the smoke ring.
  • The humidity keeps the meat surface moist, it evaporates and cools the meat, and that slows cooking . This allows more time for connective tissues and fats to melt.
This is not to say that you cannot make fine barbecue with an empty water pan. Professionals not using water typically spritz during cooking to keep the meat surface moist and cool. Backyarders may skip spritzing and water in the pan and be perfectly satisfied with the results; I don't question their results or satisfaction.

Thanks Chris; which charcoal type did you use in your testing?

I stopped using water years ago, if I want to stay 250 max I foil the pan and a clay saucer and put it in the pan. If I want to be 275-300 for a cook I leave out the saucer and just foil the pan. Has worked great for me in the 18 and 14 for a long time. I don’t miss messing with water one bit....

One question. If not using water, what is the purpose of using an empty pan or saucer?

First, it's a heat deflector. The heat hits the bottom and rolls up the sides.
Second, a drip tray or catch all.
You can remove it and go pit barrel or drum smoker if you like the drippings hitting the fat thing.
Edit: what Jeff said..
Tim

Good points. I have always cooked without the water pan with good results, but was thinking of a cook that would probably benefit from using water pan, etc. The drippings, it must be noted, can be problematic--too much fat dripping in a single spot can start a fire.

I have always cooked without the water pan with good results, but was thinking of a cook that would probably benefit from using water pan, etc.
By design, some pits such as offset stickburners do not allow grease/drippings to enter the fire, while others like a whole hog cinder block pit allow grease/drippings to enter the fire. Each creates a different flavor profile. The WSM is unique in that while primarily designed as a water smoker that does not allow grease/dripping to enter the fire, you can remove the pan and allow grease/drippings to burn up in the hot coals. Pretty neat in that regard, I think. :wsm:

Good points. I have always cooked without the water pan with good results, but was thinking of a cook that would probably benefit from using water pan, etc. The drippings, it must be noted, can be problematic--too much fat dripping in a single spot can start a fire.

Yep, did some Roadside chicken, and while basting that sudden burst of oxygen gave me a rip roaring fire.:oops:

Tim

Before my WSM I smoked on my Kettle. I would use water in a pan. When I first got my WSM I would use water.
When I got my ATC I quit using water due to reading the ATC and water would not necessarily play nice together.
I haven't mopped either.
I can tell a difference between using water and not but can't really quantify it.
My next butt cook I may try a sprits to see how it goes.

Back