18" B-B-K wanted (Upper Midwest)

Brad Olson

TVWBB Diamond Member
I gave my vintage 18" Bar-B-Kettle a good look this afternoon and the bowl is once again in need of some repair, but I'm starting to think that maybe it's time to replace it and so I'm reaching out to those of you in Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa and Minnesota (within roughly 300 miles) to see what might be available. For the Young People Among Us who might be unfamiliar with the Bar-B-Kettle or its older sibling the Bar-B-Q-Kettle, they're the models with the 3 individual bowl vents and not the one-touch vent system.

I'm looking on Craigslist and have actually found one in the Madison area and I'm waiting for some info, but I figure it's still worth looking around to pick up a spare. For the record, I'm in WI and am roughly halfway between Madison and Janesville, and since I'm temporarily and involuntarily retired I can easily make a road trip...in fact, I could use one right about now.

I'd love to come to your neck of the woods, eat your food, drink your beer, and offend your neighbors (or HOA, which would be even better) just to pick up a grill. Heck, I'd be glad to do all of that even if you DON'T find me a grill!😈;)

Thanks!

Last edited:
LOL, I can't help you out, but I am just glad that I don't have an HOA that needs your attention. They Suk.

Thanks, Bruce, I appreciate it and it's tough to pass up, but because of where I have the grills I use freestanding tables.

My Webers go commando.;)

LOL

t0sG1c6.jpg

Does that work table move with the Kettle or is it a PITA?

Also, I don't consider myself young by any stretch, but I had to look up this "Bar-B-Kettle" you referenced. Cool!

644802311_tp.jpg

Craw, that's how Weber built 'em back in the days when a MAN knew how to control a fire and wasn't afraid to clean out the bowl by hand. None of this swishy-swishy-sweepy-sweepy nonsense like today!

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go eat a pack of unfiltered Pall Malls for lunch. Grrr!;)

Geez, Larry...thanks for nothing! ;)

Not that I'm all that bent out of shape because I missed a trip to Janesville, although it would've been nice to stop at Peking for a plate of shrimp toast...

So I've found a very affordable kettle a few hours away, and judging by the photos it looks to be in good shape. However, I'm now faced with a Moral Dilemma...in their response the seller wrote "To be honest I have not used the grill as I’m not even sure how to use it." and part of me wants to offer to teach them instead of buying it! Gas-to-charcoal conversion therapy, so to speak. What to do, what to do...;)

Last edited:

Back