18.5" WSM vs 30-gallon Hunsaker. I need opinions

Gregory Pinch

Hello,

I have been smoking (for 2-3 people) on a pellet smoker and a 22" kettle for many years.

I am considering purchasing a 30-gallon Hunsaker drum, but I thought I should consider a 18' WSM.

If I purchase an 18" WSM I would include: a Vortex basket, SS door, hanging rib rack, hinge, gasket and cylinder lock.

If I am purchasing all of the accessories for a WSM, why not just buy the 30- gallon Hunsaker, as it comes with all of those features ???

Would appreciate any feedback.

The main difference between a drum smoker & a WSM is that the drum does not have a water pan & the grease from the meat drips on the fire.

Welcome to the site!

I don't own a WSM or a Hunsaker drum, but I do own a OK Joe Bronco drum and I do own a Hunsaker Vortex charcoal basket which fits in it.

My drum weighs 140 lbs stock, and more with the Hunsaker basket, so it's not nearly as convenient to move around (e.g. take to the beach, or a friend's house, etc.) as a WSM would be. Not sure what the Hunsaker smoker weighs.

I don't use the Hunsaker basket exclusively, but it's a larger basket than the stock basket for my drum. So, the basket I use depends on the cook and kind of depends on my mood, since I also have an even larger aftermarket charcoal basket.

Re the vortex thing, I can't say it's dramatically impressive. The hot air does not spin around like what's implied. The convective heat does shift a bit. So that helps, but it helps only a tiny bit.

Note that on the AR site, the WSM 18" and the OK Joe Bronco are both rated five stars. The Hunsaker smoker is only rated four stars.

Note that you can get a used WSM for less than half of retail on FB marketplace. This means you could buy a used WSM, try it for a while, form an opinion, then if you like it or don't like it, sell it, get your money back, and then buy new whatever you think you prefer.

Good luck

one thing to consider is I think the finish on the wsm will outlast the high temp paint that those drums are painted with as long as the wsm finish is not scratched to the bare metal causing rust. Ive seen some of those barrel smokers that cost more than a wsm and after a bit they look like they need stripped down and repainted

Gregory, having been a WSM owner for over 20 years (initially an 18 and then later the 22" I own both now) the accessories you mention you would include are"wants" and not "needs." I always recommend to folks that if they buy a WSM, that they learn how it works before purchasing any mods for it. THEN, if you want to spend money on mods, then by all means go ahead. IMHO, though, none of the mods you mention will vastly improve the results you'll get after you learn how to use it as it comes. Again, my opinion, good luck with your purchase, whatever you decide.

Hey Gregory,

My suggestion is to find a used WSM, try it for a bit, even without any accessories. If you like it and you want to upgrade to a newer one then shop for a better used one or a deal on a new one. If you don't' like it you can probably flip it for what you pay for it. Used WSMs are pretty much a commodity, at least where I live.

I won't talk anyone out of trying another grill and my addiction is to get many. My limited experience with a WSM was about six months. I bought a WSM 22 used, compared it to my pellet smoker and my BGE in terms of ease of cooking, amount of coal it used, ease of cleanup etc and in the end sold it along with my pellet grill and picked up a WSK E6. Again, this was my world and I also have a large BGE, a kettle and a handful of gassers too.

I agree with others suggestions is to get it and use it for a while before adding options and upgrades.

Good luck in your quest!

edit: set a watch alert on FBM and Craigslist. You can also look at "sold" items on FBM and get an idea what they sold for.

@Gregory Pinch

A few WSMs in the general LA area:

$200 for an 18 in costa mesa

$215 in Oxnard

$125 in LA -- looks like it might be missing the water pan

Out of all the accessories you listed for the WSM the only one you need is the gasket. Okay, you don't even need that but it is a really good thing

The drum smoker is ridiculously overpriced by a factor of 2. If you want a drum smoker by the parts and build your own from a 55 gallon drum. Lots of places sell them like Big Poppa smokers

Tending to the fire in the bottom of a drum smoker that you can't access at all.... Is the big drawback.

You can put something down there for your grease to drip on just like we do in the WSM....
It doesn't have to drip into the fire unless you want it to. But those are modifications to make.

Both have very limited grate area only the top grate is useable for most things. Because you need to have access to the food...... Can you imagine reaching down into a hot smoker to try and lift out a turkey or butt or even ribs from the bottom rack....... No it's a nightmare. The WSM falls short in a lot of ways.... A drum smoker falls short in more. Imo.

Out of all the accessories you listed for the WSM the only one you need is the gasket. Okay, you don't even need that but it is a really good thing

The drum smoker is ridiculously overpriced by a factor of 2. If you want a drum smoker by the parts and build your own from a 55 gallon drum. Lots of places sell them like Big Poppa smokers

Tending to the fire in the bottom of a drum smoker that you can't access at all.... Is the big drawback.

You can put something down there for your grease to drip on just like we do in the WSM....
It doesn't have to drip into the fire unless you want it to. But those are modifications to make.

Both have very limited grate area only the top grate is useable for most things. Because you need to have access to the food...... Can you imagine reaching down into a hot smoker to try and lift out a turkey or butt or even ribs from the bottom rack....... No it's a nightmare. The WSM falls short in a lot of ways.... A drum smoker falls short in more. Imo.
I agree. The prices are ridiculous for a pre-built drum smoker.

Hi Gregory, I can't speak to the different smokers you are considering, only to the mods you are considering. I have the 18" WSM and love it. I looked at all of the different mods people have done and settled on: upgraded SS door; gasket for the door and lid; casters/wheels - I drilled the existing legs and installed wheels I bought at HomeDepot; handles - I bought garage door handles which fit existing holes and required no drilling; a pan that sits on the water bowl and catches the drppings; a second coal grate arranged so the two grates criss-cross each other and wired them together - this allows you to get better usage of your coal; and a coal ring to allow for better piling up of the coal. IMHO you don't need the cylinder lock or Vortex basket. I have one major luxury item also that I can't do without for long smokes - I have the FlameBoss 400 blower that regulates airflow and temperature and is both Bluetooth and WiFi and does a great job of maintaining a constant temperature. I also have a Weber Performer BBQ that I have owned for over 20 years and still use in addition to my WSM. Good luck with whatever direction you go.

I don't think you need any of those accessories to get started. Find a used WSM on Facebook Marketplace and give it a try like some of the other posters have suggested. That's what I did and ending up getting a nice 22" kettle in the process (both for $150 - couldn't beat that). Initially, I didn't do any upgrades and after some time, I eventually did the hinge, garage door handles for lifting the middle section, cajun bandit door, and the triangular cart that Chris has a video on here. I see no reason for a gasket at all. I get very little smoke loss around the rim and the door (including the original aluminum door). It's a great smoker and personally, I get better smoking results on the WSM versus the WSK which I also own. The WSK is way more versatile, but also way more expensive. I love the 18" for travel. I have taken it camping, up north, and to my family for various smokes and it produces great food!

I don't think you need any of those accessories to get started. Find a used WSM on Facebook Marketplace and give it a try like some of the other posters have suggested. That's what I did and ending up getting a nice 22" kettle in the process (both for $150 - couldn't beat that). Initially, I didn't do any upgrades and after some time, I eventually did the hinge, garage door handles for lifting the middle section, cajun bandit door, and the triangular cart that Chris has a video on here. I see no reason for a gasket at all. I get very little smoke loss around the rim and the door (including the original aluminum door). It's a great smoker and personally, I get better smoking results on the WSM versus the WSK which I also own. The WSK is way more versatile, but also way more expensive. I love the 18" for travel. I have taken it camping, up north, and to my family for various smokes and it produces great food!
I didn't see a reason for the gasket at first either..... But once I put them on.... I wished I had done it sooner. First, that little smoke goes to none at all.. occasional air leaks when replacing the lid just don't happen anymore..Second the lid sits down on a nice soft surface..... And it's easier to get zero air leaks around the door. Everything just fits snugger.... There's no porcelain on porcelain grinding noise.. or metal on porcelain at the door. It's cheap, ez..., just do it. It eventually gets saturated with grease as well but it's still nice soft surface.

I didn't see a reason for the gasket at first either..... But once I put them on.... I wished I had done it sooner. First, that little smoke goes to none at all.. occasional air leaks when replacing the lid just don't happen anymore..Second the lid sits down on a nice soft surface..... And it's easier to get zero air leaks around the door. Everything just fits snugger.... There's no porcelain on porcelain grinding noise.. or metal on porcelain at the door. It's cheap, ez..., just do it. It eventually gets saturated with grease as well but it's still nice soft surface.
I don't think the gasket would work with the hinge. It's already a very snug fit (top to middle section).

Back