18.5 WSM rotisserie

Cy Murphy

TVWBB Member
Howdy guys, Cold "n" rainy day here in West Virginiabut the cookin' & eatin' must go on or so I'm told.:rolleyes:

I have a confession to make to y'all. I'm a rotisserie chicken slut and that's the cold hard facts. Should I seek professional help ?:confused: I just dunno.

Anywhoo after using my GOOGLE FU for a while looking for a rotisserie to be used on my 18.5 WSM I'm coming up empty and that's not good. LOLOL

Quite a fair selection out there for the 22.5 though.

Can y'all hep a feller out in his time of need.????

Thanks guy 'n' gals.

XXX
OOO
LOLOLOL

No tips really... The birds get done a lot faster than you'd think on the roti compared to regular grillin...

Thanks again. I'll season my bird inside and out and bring it up to room temp before putting on @ 325-350 grate temp or low and slow ?

Thanks for the heads up, I've been wanting to get a rotisserie for my 26.75" "Pimp My Kettle" project and looked at the link for the Canjun Bandit website and noticed they have one! I've added the link to my favorites list and when I get to that part a my project the rotisserie kit is going to added! Can you say "rotisserie turkey" anybody?

What temp are you planning on running your Kettle Rotisserie at? You mentioned low and slow, however I would think you're going to want 300 degrees maybe more, which isn't low and slow. I just did a bird at 350 on a vertical stand, the skin was nearly perfect, I'm tempted to raise the temp to 375

What temp are you planning on running your Kettle Rotisserie at? You mentioned low and slow, however I would think you're going to want 300 degrees maybe more, which isn't low and slow. I just did a bird at 350 on a vertical stand, the skin was nearly perfect, I'm tempted to raise the temp to 375

I also question low and slow for roto. I was just reading a blog site yesterday that suggested the following:

For any grill, your goal is high indirect heat, with temperatures in the grill between 400*F to 500*F. If your grill can't at least get to 350*F doing indirect heat, it's not powerful enough for rotisserie cooking. On a gas grill, if you need to, adjust the burners that are on to get in that temperature range. On a charcoal grill, that's where you should be with a full chimney of charcoal.

http://www.dadcooksdinner.com/2008/12/rotisserie-poultry.html

Low and slow might not be the best unless a lot of basting is involved ???? I don't know. Please note that I mentioned 325-350 as well. 375 may be even better. I will be monitoring internal temps closely.

Thanks again. I'll season my bird inside and out and bring it up to room temp before putting on @ 325-350 grate temp or low and slow ?

I also mentioned 325-350 but 375 or a tad lower is looking better and better. Rotisserie is still on the brown truck. Will post ASAP as time permits. Deer season is here. LOI really am a Roti chicken fanatic and if this turns out well I may never do a brisket again !!!!! LOLOLO

Pork loin, chicken, ribs, I've done turkey too. I love me some rotisserie too! Also, try injecting your chicken with butter. Its awesome!

Last edited:

Back