18.5" How many butts?

Willie B

I'm cooking for a graduation party in May. I'm guessing the pork butts will be about 8-9 lbs. How many can I fit on both racks of the 18.5 WSM? I've done 2 on top before so I'm guessing I can easily fit 4. I'm wondering if I can somehow squeeze in 5??? I'm guessing this much meat on the smoker will also increase cooking time is that correct? Thanks in advance!

Dont have an 18" but i guess you could fit 5. But then you have to move em around after a bit of rendering just to get the bark good. About the cooking time and temp...Once the smoker come up to temp after all that Mass(heat sink) the time will be almost the same. Start with room temp butts to cut time! And good luck my friend
icon_smile.gif

Ive done 6. Other users have reported doing 8 by standing 4 on each rack on the short edges of the butts. when you cram a bunch together like that its a good idea to rotate them a couple of times up to every couple of hours

I've done 6-10lbers on the 18.5" 3 per rack. Set them in a triangle on they sides w/ the FC facing out.
Good luck!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Tim

Or if you have an extra grate (can be smaller than the normal size--like from a roasting pan?), you can set up four empty tall boys on the bottom grate then put the spare grate on those and put the top grate back in.

Presto--three levels to cook on now
icon_smile.gif

I prefer to cook (4) nine to ten pounders rather than five or six smaller ones. You might need to rotate them 180* once or twice during the cook to promote evenness, and yes, it'll take longer to come up to temp.

Thanks for all the info! I was thinking about either the triange method like timothy mentioned or on edges like Shawn W brought up. Never thought about rotating for better bark or trying to sneak in a third rack. I may need to empty some silos and see if I could make a third grate fit. Great idea Len!

You can do 6 large butts on the 18 incher. I have done it using wooden skewers to hold the meat in a tri pod. Half way through the cook I switch all the meat around for even cooking and bark formation. Butts on the bottom go to the top, etc....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dean:
You can do 6 large butts on the 18 incher. I have done it using wooden skewers to hold the meat in a tri pod. Half way through the cook I switch all the meat around for even cooking and bark formation. Butts on the bottom go to the top, etc.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you ever take any pics of the wooden skewer tripod?

You can also use a beercan chicken rack to prop three up on end. Did that on one cook it worked ok. Still though, I prefer the simplicity of four BIG butts. Once they start cooking they shrink up to cook more evenly than you'd think. This is one of those cooks I'd especially recommend to keep the smoke going for better part of the cook, and I'd use hickory.

Yep it is very tight. It will take yer smoker longer to get up to temp because THATS A LOT A MEAT! All you to is lean them inwards till they almost lay on each other. So they are kinda standing on there edges. Then take wooden skewers and just pierce them in to hold the butts from laying on each other. So they are kinda like a indian tee-pee! Just use tooth picks or skewers to hold the tops back barely so they cook and get good bark. Plan on a little extra time or run it hotter...

I've done 6, but try to keep it at a max of 4. 6 is a lot of cold meat at one time.

I've done 4 many times with no problems. Used to do it about once a month for the office retirement parties, but I finally retired myself (and no I did not smoke for my own party <G&gt
icon_wink.gif

I agree Dave, that the 18 is best suited for 4 large butts. 6 or more is quite a bit of work but on the rare occasion you need to do it it can be done..I done about 40 ABT's, and two rack of spares and chicken thighs on one cook this last Saturday! Most swear by the 22 but I can cook a ton of food on my 18 and eat all week off it! I would never need the capacity of the 22...

Back