18½" WSM (AT) Thermometer

Bill S. 75

TVWBB Member
Dome Temperature is consistently lower than the top grate temperature showing on my ET-732 ( approximately 25°). Everything I have read prior had mentioned dome temperature showing significantly higher. Has Weber upgraded the thermometer in newer models?

Dome Temperature... Almost 4 hours in...

20130622_094855.jpg

Grate Temperature (clip underneath upper grate, meat on upper grate away from probe)

20130622_094921.jpg

Explanation?

My dome is nearly always 15-25 degrees lower than my pit read from my Maverick. Have seen a handful of similar remarks from members here.

If it's consistent, than I would say that's close enough.:wsm:
Pick the dome and add 25 deg or just use the Mav. Mixing and trying to match just doesn't work usually.
I'll second Matt's comment, the Weber built in therm is usually quite lower than grate at the beginning. Temps taken at the top vent are usually 10 - 15 deg higher than grate.

Tim

I should add that I don't really worry too much about the difference between what my built-in thermometer and the Maverick I have clipped to the cooking grate-- so long as neither are ridiculously high or low, I let the WSM do its thing, keeping an eye on food temp and texture. Haven't been disappointed yet.

Let's see... Fire/hot coals at bottom of WSM heating the air , said heated air rising up into area where cooler meat is located, meat absorbing some of the heat from the heated air thereby reducing the temperature of the heated air around the cooler meat and all points above that.
:)

Back