14.5" WSM Customer Satisfaction Survey

Chris, I filled out the survey for you! Hopefully with the responses you have received you will gain some good feedback to send to Weber :)

Chris, I submitted to the survey also. :) These are just brilliant smokers. For couples, or small families or even for a pretty large gathering they can cook a ton. I had an 18" years ago after using kettles for dedicated smoking. 18 is an excellent mid size rig, but honestly in my specific case always felt too big. Too much coal, lots of unused space. etc. The 14 is the bomb for me. When I heard they were reintroducing it, I went to see it when they came available up here in Ontario. The 18 cooks so awesome the smaller size being from the same family (of WSM's) was a slap shot score. My Cookshack will be up for sale soon. :)

(Cookshack is excellent, but I don't smoke so much and miss the charcoal too. Also the 14 needed a home and chose me. It told me so:) )

Last edited:
DGordon
I agree totally with you! I first got a 22" WSM - the better to have extra space and not need it... But a couple things popped up, first and foremost is that my wife only likes smoked ribs (pork and beef) and smoked brisket nothing else (I keep trying) and the kids who are grown don't come as often.
The 14 is perfect for up to 4 people (really even 6 depending on what you make) and it is the bomb for 1! I put wings or legs on the Silver B for the wife and my portion on the 14 for me! You don't feel bad doing even a single leg is you had to.

I am partially paralyzed on my left side, because of this I have little to no muscle. I found that I cannot even lift the top of the 22inch. I can just barely do the same for the 18 inch middle. So a 14.5 was my best option, I actually made a Mini WSM (which in technical terms is a 14.5), so I could have two of them going at the same time when I invite company over for large parties.

I have the 22 WSM and OTG

but the 14.5 is great, with the two grates I can do 4 racks of ribs or 20 pounds of pork butt. you may be able to do more than 4 racks of ribs at once on a kettle but not much more and the temp control is so easy

and they look great

Sort of like golf, I have people say why should I buy the new technology drivers, my old wooden persimmon works fine, hits it in the fairway (most of the time) but the new ones work better and easier and are easier to control, same with grills

They are all useful

Also have you ever taken your 22 inch kettle to a party or camping or to a cookout? It is BIG in a car, while the 14.5 is more managable

I love my 14

I'll add support Jeff too. Kettles are great> Nothing better for grilling and even mid length smoking. I still love them. :) But wsm' are built for the low and slow. You can indeed turn out wonderful q on the kettles. No question. Fact tho, much easier on a wsm, of any size. A couple Butts will feed a ton of people. I used to do 8 racks at a time, but now find 2 is more than enough. The 14 is like the little engine that could, can, and does. Figure in the cover and such too in the value equation. Cheers to whatever is best for you. Jeff and I know the 14 is THE best of them all. :D And yes I like to stir it up :)

I have done only a couple of cooks on my 14. Results have been very good. Very pleased. (Survey completed).

Last edited:
I just saw the survey referenced in another thread, and I completed the survey.

I saw the 14.5 at Cabela's last March while there with my son (age 8). I told him I thought it looked "neat" and he took that to mean I wanted one. He must have interpreted that to mean I really wanted one (which I didn't -- I had serious questions about the utility of the 14.5, and I already have an 18.5 and a Backwoods Extended Party) and it really stuck with him so he and his sister (age 7) teamed up to push my wife to get it for me for Father's Day. I was skeptical but very appreciative and thankful that I have such wonderful kids.

All of that being said, the 14.5 has easily exceeded my expectations. Thanks to the small size it's a breeze to move around, set up and get up to temperature for cooking. I've cooked a turkey breast on it as well as a pair of butts, and I've been very happy with the results. Cooks like a dream. My only complaint is that it burns fuel a little faster than I would expect, and for long cooks ash becomes an issue. But I can live with those issues.

Next week my daughter is doing the Kids Q at New Holland Summerfest, and I plan on using the 14.5. This is quickly becoming one of my favorite cookers.

Erik

Survey complete! Love my 14.5. It was not on my radar since I have a 22.5, but then I saw one up close and decided I had to have it. Love the way it cooks and with a little creativity you can smoke quite a bit of meat on that little dude. The heat shield being inside is a little different and it would have been nice if the little tabs that hold the charcoal grate to the charcoal ring like the 22 for cleaning ash would have been nice. My kingsford bill was cut times four since the 14 showed up :)

Back