14.5" WSM Cooking Time

Chuck Simon

TVWBB Pro
Hey all! I have a question for those that have the 14.5" WSM. It seems I can never get anymore than 5 hours of cook time out of a full ring of charcoal before having to fill up again. Can the 14.5" go longer than 5 hours on a full ring of charcoal? I usually fill it up with Kingsford Blue and then dump 15 lit coals on top. Am I adding too many lit coals in the beginning? What do you all think? I am making 20 lbs of pork shoulder tomorrow (Sunday) and was curious. Thank you in advanced for all of your answers!

Chuck

Chuck;
I use the tin can minion method. I use a full ring of Kingsford Original and light six briqs. I have no problem whatsoever in having my 14.5" go 8 or 9 hours (what it takes for a Bone-In 8.0-9.0 lb Boston Butt). Ribs only take about four hours or so and that is never a problem, at all.

Give the Tin Can Minion Method a try and let us know how it works for YOU.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Chuck,

Do what Robert suggests and also run your water pan without water. Just foil the pan. You have more than enough heat sink with 20 pounds of meat.

Thanks guys! I used a small coffee can and filled the charcoal around the ring. I put 6 lit coals in the can and then took the can out. It took a bit for the temp to come up. I am little over 4 hours in and it is looking good. Thanks again!

Back