14.5 lid vs grate temp

Jeff Padell

TVWBB Pro
I am doing a rib loin today on the 14.5 and noticed that the lid thermometer Temp is running 225 while the Maverick on the grate about 3 inches in from the edge is 245.

I am surprised would have thought the lid would be higher

Yea, heat does rise, but built in therms are hit and miss if you are trying to get two same readings. The amount of cold meat from the get-go has an effect and so does the length of the stem and the actual location in the lid. I've seen some mods where the hole was drilled lower towards the food grate ( prolly mid-way down from where the Weber is currently located) and most reported that that location matched a Mav or ATC grate probe reading.
I use a turkey fryer therm clipped into the top-vent and that usually is 12-14 degs higher than grate temps.

Tim

Next time move the grate probe to the middle of the grate. When the probe is near the side, it will show higher temperature because it is catching the heat rising past the edge of the water pan.

Next time move the grate probe to the middle of the grate. When the probe is near the side, it will show higher temperature because it is catching the heat rising past the edge of the water pan.

And another reason why I don't deal with grate probes: to close to the edge gives higher readings: to close to the cold meat gives lower readings, hang it under and you have to deal with drippings and whatever.
Top vent works for me.:wsm:

Tim

I'm dealing with the same problems with mine, I spend all this money on a DigiQ, meanwhile I have been going by the temperature on the lid. I'm not sure where the best place is to put the clip to get an accurate reading.

I wonder if it could also be gunked up and so getting lower readings, I could swear it used to get closer to the Maverick. I will look at that but I don't think that is it, I guess I will just know that it is off by about 20 degrees.

I have come to realize that a specific temperature is not so important as it is to be consistent. If you always put it in the same spot, then you can adjust cook times so you can repeat it.

I use grate temperature with my Maverick 732 and am guided by that. It works well and my food seems to finish in the ball park of others.

Keep in mind that ANY temp is just a guide. The only thing that counts to me is the tenderness. Ribs I twist and probe - Butts I probe, etc. Brisket I probe...

Just a thought or two...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I am doing a rib loin today on the 14.5 and noticed that the lid thermometer Temp is running 225 while the Maverick on the grate about 3 inches in from the edge is 245.

I am surprised would have thought the lid would be higher

I fired up my brand new 14.5" yesterday. I expected, based on what I've read, that the top temp gauge would be 30-50 degrees off from my river country gauge inserted thru the grommet between the two grates. There was only a 10 degree difference throughout the entire cook which really surprised me. I calibrated my RC before I installed it. I did notice the RC gauge got to temp faster than the lid so it must have been reading the heat coming up the side. Since everything I've read says a 25 degree swing is no big deal, I guess I could have saved a few bucks and just gone with the lid temp. My thermopop is a keeper, though.

I have come to realize that a specific temperature is not so important as it is to be consistent. If you always put it in the same spot, then you can adjust cook times so you can repeat it.

This ^ ^ ^ is my basic philosophy. Using more than one thermometer will drive you crazy. I use a thermometer I put through the vent and when it reads about 250 - 275, I'm good. If my cooks were taking longer than expected, I'd work at a higher temp. If my cooks were getting done quicker than expected, I'd work at a lower temp. It is all relative. Just get one thing you can rely on and stick with it. Consistency is key. Even if both your thermometers are correct, 20 degrees is not going to matter and I bet it will even out over the course of the cook.

I am running the maverick 733 on my 18.5 WSM. I get anywhere from a 15-30 temp variation from the middle of the bottom rack to the dome thermometer... Like someone said above don't over analyze what your maverick or dome temp is telling you. Get it close to target temp and keep it consistent.

I poke the Maverick probe through the grommet so that it is almost in to the crimp. That puts it about 5" inside the side wall, protected by the water pan, and right under the top grate.

Back