14.5" Capacity?

Chris in Mi

TVWBB Member
After seeing an assembled 14.5" last night at Walmart (didn't notice the price, have to check now that I see at some locations they are only $100!!!), what is the capacity of one? Could 2 ~8 or 9lb butts fit in the top rack, even if on their side? I ask because hauling the 18.5" when camping is a little work. I need to flip the lid for the WSM to fit inside the truck bed with the cab high topper. It just seems like it would be very easy to haul the 14.5" on trips. But I know I couldn't do 3-~9lb busts all on the top rack like I did on the 18.5" last week either.

Will be calling the few somewhat local Walmarts to check the price!!!

TY!!!!

No, you cannot fit (2) butts on the top rack of the 14.5" WSM.

You CAN fit one on the top rack, and one on the lower rack though!

I have also have a 22"WSM, but wanted a smaller one for CAMPING too, so I got the 14.5"WSM to bring camping. It travels well, and still cooks (2) butts which will serve a lot of people! #happycampers I put em on when I wake up, and they are done by dinner. (yes, I wrap in foil after a few hours to speed the cook time)

Here's what a 7.5 lb butt looks like on the little guy.
Might fit a couple of small ones on top if set on ends.
IMGP3769.JPG

TY!!! Been busy and haven't been on for a few days, so sorry for the slow reply!!!

I couldn't pass the price up after the store told me $50. Figure worse case I can always sell it for that if it doesn't work out like the 18". Plan on the first smoke on the 14" this Fri evening. Hope all goes well! Lol

Biggest thing is having enough pp when we on our big camping trip. We camp with other families, so need as much as possible. Maybe it is time to learn to use both racks??? Lol

TY again!!!

Don't forget, you can cook butts ahead of time and reheat on the camping trip. Just have plenty precooked and smoke one on the camping trip to everyone gets real hungry. Might save you some grief and you will have more fun since less work. Good Luck

TY Bob!!!

I have considered cooking them ahead of time and reheating. The thought of just cooking one is a great idea as well, with the other one or two pre-cooked. Definitely something to consider!!! I have about 10 months to decide. Our big trip is the beginning of August, so that will give me a month to prepare. Not sure I will consider cooking all of it ahead of time though.... If I did that there may not be much left to take on our trip!!! Lol

I know when we reheated the pp on the grill in an aluminum pan, it was just as much of a hit as when we ate the pp the same evening it came of the smoker.

For some crazy reason I don't feel like smoking a butt (or two or three) is much work when camping. I just kick back in the gravity chair by the fire, and have a drink or two (or three, or.... :) )

Last edited:
CaseT,

TY!!! I haven't ever checked to see the difference between the two grate temps, so didn't know they would be that close.

Not sure if you had seen my thread of smoking three butts all on the top rack of the 18". Had them on their side, and all turned out great!!! That's why I was asking about the 14". But if the temps are that close shouldn't be a big deal using both racks.

First smoke on the 14" tmrw night. Have 2 ~6# butts to cook up!!!

TY again!!!

Butts turned out pretty good!!! Fired up the smoker about 9:30pm Fri, butts went on about 10:30. Things were going good when I went to bed about 2ish. Woke up to a pit temp of about 180* at 8, and hardly any charcoal left. Fired up the coals again, and ended up wrapping the butts for the first time to speed up the smoke. Temp dropping put me behind time wise. But all turned out well, pulling the butts off about 11ish.

Definitely a little bit of a learning curve again with the new 14" vs the 18". But maybe I just don't remember the initial learning of the 18"!?!?!? Lol

For overnight cooks will probably make sure I add more charcoal before going to bed.
Seriously considering it may be time to learn the no water smokes.
I used one piece of cherry and apple each in the 14". Seemed to be enough for the 14". Usually use two pieces of each in the 18".
Need to raise the charcoal grate a little for more ash room. Was pretty full when I needed to add more coals. Did remove the heat tray and plan to mount it under the smoker like a fellow member posted (can't recall who it was atm).

On to the pic of the butts on the smoker!!!

TY again the 14" info!!!

TY Bob!!!

The pp tasted pretty good!!! Slight change in the rub, as my SC ran out of chili powder, but all was still good.

Definitely think it helped that I am familiar with the 18", so just a matter of "learning the new smoker".

Back