13 Lb Brisket going on tonight. Rub ideas?

Tom Raveret

TVWBB Pro
I got lucky and was at Restraunt Depot when they were putting out some excel prime briskets (sold as choice for 2.69/lb)

I tend to like rubs that are a little more complex than the salt pepper and garlic that a lot like on the brisket. I’m not taking anything away from that but I saw this and was looking for a rub with a little more to it.

So I’m looking for versions of your favorite rubs to make your best Brisket or Ideas. I usually prefer to mix a rub from a recipe because I find so many I’ve bought just aren’t that fresh.

So lucky in Milwaukee that we have the spice house (and penzys but they aren’t as fresh

I was planning on an overnight cook in my
22in WSM

here was what I saw

1 Cup Sugar
2 Tablespoons chili Powder
2Tablespoons Mustard Powder
2 Tablespoons onion powder
2 Tablespoons Garlic Powder
2 Tablespoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 Tablespoons Kosher salt
2 Tablespoons coarsly ground Black pepper

This was Myron Mixons Meat rub bit I’m totally open to going different directions..

personally that seems like too much Cumin

What confused me was the amount of sugar in this rub and him saying it was a high heat cook....

I'm also looking at a /slaughter house 2.0 championship Brisket recipe I saw in Steve Raichlens Brisket Chronicles book that looks promising and more in line with a Kansas City style I'm looking for.

Last edited:
This is Harry Soo's all purpose rub
  • 4 TBSP kosher salt
  • 2 TBSP granulated sugar
  • 2 TBSP brown sugar
  • 2 TBSP mild chili powder
  • 2 TBSP paprika
  • 1 TBSP ground cumin
  • 1 TBSP granulated garlic
  • 1 TBSP black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
Or
  • 1 TBSP Lawry’s Seasoned Salt
  • 1 TBSP granulated sugar
  • 1 TBSP McCormick Grill Mates Montreal Steak Seasoning
  • 1-1/2 tsp mild chili powder
  • 1-1/2 tsp paprika
  • 1-1/2 tsp granulated garlic
  • 1/4 to 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
I have used the first one and have had compliments on it.

I have done a coffee run before but it was a commercial rub so... I just found this rub I have not tried it though.

Coffee Rub
  • 2 tablespoons coarse salt
  • 2 tablespoons instant coffee
  • 2 tablespoons garlic powder
  • 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
  • 1 tablespoon pepper
  • 1 tablespoon crushed coriander
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne

INSTRUCTIONS

• Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Use a fork to crush any clumps of seasonings. Store in an airtight container for up to a month.

I have made rubs over the years and tried a bunch more, my favorite so far is the SuckleBusters 1836 , its my goto on anything beef now. hope the cook turns out great

I used Harry Soo’s all purpose as a base then added more garlic and onion and a bit more cayenne. She’s been on since 11:00 last night. Thanks to all.

I used Harry Soo’s all purpose as a base then added more garlic and onion and a bit more cayenne. She’s been on since 11:00 last night. Thanks to all.

It turned out pretty well.. the flat was pretty thin and dry but as i kept slicing it was pure joy!!! i can't do this cook that often ... sooooo rich

Back