13 in. Wide Pro Laminate, Engineered Wood and Vinyl Flooring Cutter

ChuckO

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Anyone use one of these? I really like the idea of being to cut laminate right where I'm working. Getting ready to do 2.2K square feet, and I really hate getting up and down off the ground, LOL

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Roberts-...-Flooring-Cutter-10-64/203526690?N=5yc1vZba6w

cfdd3630-33d2-4462-bcff-e99b43448faa_400.jpg

b5177956-a9e7-4a59-93ba-00050ece269f_400.jpg

At 2200 ft, it seems a good deal for $250. I had about 300 ft to do and got a $70 unit from h.d. it did the job (it was a nibbler, not a slicer like what you're looking at.

One tip: make sure its a ONE person operation. You might think one person can operate it but make sure. Wifey ends up having to hold the board while I operated the handle. P.I.T.A.

Last edited:
One tip: make sure its a ONE person operation. You might think one person can operate it but make sure. Wifey ends up having to hold the board while I operated the handle. P.I.T.A.
Excellent heads up. I never would have thought to check that, I'd just assumed it was

I laid alot of floors in my career and that is a pro tool ( never used one on laminate, but used the same concept on int trim). Is it worth it for the ease and can you use it again is one question I would ask because a small circular saw with a fine tooth blade held right next to you does the same thing without getting up?
Once you lay out one run and use the waste on the next run, the numbers repeat.

Tim

one question I would ask because a small circular saw with a fine tooth blade held right next to you does the same thing without getting up?
I originally thought about that, but I was concerned with dust? Most the homes in my neighborhood are pretty much the same age and many people are doing their floors now. I've noticed that those who employ contractor, the "cutter" is set up in the garage cutting away and they have a runner taking the cut laminate to the installer. 3 people seem to be able to knock out my house in about a day, maybe a day and a half. Basically it's $3K to $4K extra to pay to have it installed. I figured I'd spend maybe $.5K in tools, do it myself, and save at least $2K (even making 10% errors) then sell any tools I bought for at least 50% maybe more. I have no intention of doing floors again, I'm getting too old and working around the house is biting into my BBQ time

ChuckO,before I buy a new tool,I do a TON of research. I also check out the reviews. This one had good reviews. I'd go ahead and get it. Gotta be better than using saws and getting sawdust every where. Like I did! :D

Good point Chuck and one I overlooked. I do new construction and dust isn't an issue, but on remods I use a shop-vac hooked up to my miter saw and I have a circular saw with the same hook up.
But that's me, and you are you, so if it makes sense than buy it.:)
Tim

Did mine with my 12" DEWALT Compound Miter Saw. Worked great. Have to admit though, it was a lot on up and down, going outside to make cuts. For my job, it was worth it.

Thanks everyone, it seems like it would be a good purchase (assuming it's one man operated) I did the downstairs bathroom and laundry room with the peal and stick vinyl tile, it took all weekend, but that included tearing up the old stuff. I also pulled all the molding through out the house, so all's that's left is tear up the carpet, paint and then lay down the laminate. I'm hoping to be done by mid March, painting is going to be slow, I'm not real big on ladders since I broke my back (Aug 2013) I break out into a cold sweat when I'm 10' or more high...

Hope you don't run into dry rot when you get the rugs up. (Like I did). That's a show stopper!
I actually got some in the upstairs bathroom. I bought a sheet of that "pressure treated plywood......$150 *yikes* It's going to be the last room I do as it's the master bedroom / bath. What I want to do is tear out the shower and tub and put in a "large walk in shower without door." (example below) The problem is they "start" at $5K and the example below is not a starter, if you can believe that :(

Large-Walk-In-Shower-Without-Door1.jpg

Finished this "little" project, except the stairs, I have a buddy who's going to do the stairs, it's what he does for a living and said he could make them pretty special. I ended up not getting the slicer, I bought the Bosch Vibrating saw instead. The need for the slicer wasn't as great as anticipated, my laminate connects on the sides and the ends, so the only time the end needed to be sliced/cut off was when it terminated on the wall. There's really no substitute for a chop saw, table saw & jig saw (which I was fortunate enough to be able to borrow) The vibrating saw was just what the Doc ordered for cutting out the door moldings for the laminate to slide under. Anyway, a couple photos of the project, I'm confident this is the last time I do laminate, it kicked my butt...

Starting out

CF310C21-C4DB-4A5F-BCEC-57BB0834BBF2_zps8yaayfyt.jpg

706F0F9D-1A17-4F38-B5D5-EF03F8D71181_zpsoyr9say0.jpg

9C4FF1CC-7AF9-4D98-91A2-E7752945F0D0_zpsawdv58ls.jpg

measure my start right, they lined up great

4A4E558F-01AF-4399-821A-18CEF8A8AEC1_zpse1pqrxzv.jpg

E34C9CBB-EF43-4D84-8FBA-6562515AAFD6_zpso039onyn.jpg

Did I mention that a Jig saw is a must...?

4BEFDA18-AC7A-4AF9-9030-98FCD796156F_zps82w6tbes.jpg

Finished, Easter Sunday

F7E3BE1A-C8DE-47F7-9148-893F673DA7DB_zpsvbg6omfh.jpg

Now to get back to important stuff, aka BBQ'in

You saved a bunch of money too!
I saved $3.5K (using Home Depot quote their installers work out to $1.75 a foot) you can get as low as $1 a foot, on CL, but that's pretty sketchy... I had to use math that I haven't used in 35 years, but hey, I still got it. My skinniest piece was 4" and that's in the loft behind a couch :cool:

I can truthfully say, it was my first and last laminate job, LOL

how are you liking the floor? Easy upkeep? I just looked around and thought of painting and then I looked at the carpet.

I'm real happy with the flooring. Just now finishing up the stairs, I ended up going with the "Cap A Tread" for them, it took a month to get them. I don't miss carpet at all. The Laminate floors are easy to clean and they look great. Carpet looks good for about a year and then it just goes downhill from there

Back