11.5 Month Old Corned Beef

Jon Des.

TVWBB Gold Member
This was my last really big cook before the 2-week early birth of my son last March. I'm finally posting it now because it was one of my best, and also because we're going with a St. Patty's theme for his first birthday party in about a month and I'm trying to remember how I did it!

Rather than use a brisket, I used an eye round with my logic being that 95% of this was going to be eaten as sandwiches and that particular cut will slice nicely and make some great Reubens. Here it is curing:

Smoked with some wood, but I can't recall what.

Ready to slice.

Served with some biscuits and colcannon.

Lots of slicing action!

Obligatory Reuben.

And the real reason for making this stuff: Corned Beef Hash!

That really didn't entirely jog my memory, but I hope you all enjoyed it. And if you have any suggestions for things to go with Reubens and homebrew Irish Red Ale at a first birthday party, please fire away! So far we're considering making rye bread in loaves like French bread and making Reuben party subs, and maybe a potato soup with cabbage.

As always (although not nearly often enough), thanks for looking!

Last edited:
That looks great Jon. I love doing corned beef on the kettle, but have never "corned" one yet.

That's a long brine. Dang. Kidding. The plate looks good but with a title like that I was sure hoping for some sandwich pics - thanks.

Don't lift the lid...

Two thing's you can never go wrong with Corned beef & one if not my fav's Corned beef and hash...Well done Jon.

Looks fantastic. Thanks for the reminder that I need to get moving on some more corned beef with the high holiday approaching. :cool:

Thank god, Jon - I thought you found a year-old piece of meat in the freezer.
Do you remember how long you smoked it and what internal temp you took it to?
Love me some corned beef, all year long, but especially these days. But never smoked one. I'd like to try that.

Pete

Wow Jon. I gotta do one of these real soon. So craving some home made hash and a real authentic corned beef special...yum!!!

Thank god, Jon - I thought you found a year-old piece of meat in the freezer.
Do you remember how long you smoked it and what internal temp you took it to?
Love me some corned beef, all year long, but especially these days. But never smoked one. I'd like to try that.

Pete

I want to say I cooked it to 135 or 140, since this is more of a roast beef cut. 250ish in the kettle with light smoke.

Better late than never. Looks good. The title got me thinking that you marinated for almost a year. Lol! Either that, or took some out of the freezer. ;)

Last edited:

Back