10lb standing rib roast

Status
Not open for further replies.

C Splice

Hello all,

I am picking up my first weber preformer tonight (Thurs), found it on Kijiji (simular to Craigslist, but more popular here in Canada).

I typically do my roasts on my Weber silver C natural gas BBQ. I am doing this roast on Saturday for a dinner party and I would really like to do it on the preformer.

I have charcoal experience with my Smokey Joe BBQ, but it is grilling only, no indirect cooking. I have been doing indirect for years on my gas BBQ, everything from chickens and roasts to lasagana, apple pie, and meat loaf.

This is a pretty expensive roast for my first charcoal indirect experience, but what the heck. My concerns are temperature control considering it will be cold, windy and possible raining on Saturday. None of which would bother me on my gas BBQ.

I will be attempting the minion method for the first time and should be able to set up the grill into two halves with some fire bricks as seen on many post here. I always use a meat thermometer for doneness.

Now that you have the background here are my questions (all opinions appreciated):

Should I go low and slow at 225deg or my regular 325deg like on the gas BBQ?

If I am gonna screw this up at any point when and how do you think it will happen?

If this charcoal BBQ experience works out as good as I see it, it should be all I need to convince the wife to buy a WSM by the spring to complete my Weber family.

You are much braver than me!
I always try something new with a cheep piece of meat.
That being said cook it similar to how you've done in the past. Same seasoning, same temp, cook to same temp & should be great, better than the gasser! ( at least do a test run of the grill before the beef even if it's without food just to see how to control temps!

I will be cooking on it tomorrow night after a good cleaning. I have thought about a smaller pork roast that I have in the freezer for a test run if I have the time. But worst case scenario the rib roast will be my first indirect on this grill and it will be cold wet and windy. Hopfully a little stress adds to the flavour.

I've done a couple of these on the Weber, but not necessarily in the conditions you're facing. See if you can get the grill in some kind of shelter, especially wind shield of some kind - even if you can put it next to a retaining wall or something to shield it from the wind.

I recommend 325, and in more hospitable weather conditions, you'll be surprised how few lit coals it takes to get to 325 on a kettle.

As far as temp controls, there are varying opinions on whether to control the temps with the top vent or the bottom vent. I used the top vent for years, but now I will typically start with the bottom vent about half-open and then use the top to control the temps.

Just keep an eye on the temps - swirling winds can wreck havoc.

These are nice pieces of meat, but I've always found them to be pretty forgiving - just don't overcook it!

Good luck!

Pat

C, i use my 22 kettle a lot for indirect cooking, i also use the charcoal holder gives u more room, i fill the holder with charcoal & lite 4 briquettes for a minion start, i open the bottom vent to about 1/8 open and the top vent 1/2 open temps settle nicely 325-350 degrees. If u want to control heat easier just fill a foil pan with water and sit above the fire. Gl on ur cook C hope it turns out great.

I was able to pick it up last night. Everything was as I had expected it to be. I was glad to see it still had the two crescent shaped charcoal holders, which I will probably use tomorrow for the roast.

I cleaned down the racks and the bowl. I just fired it up and I'm gonna get it nice and hot and play around with it for a few hours. Once it cools off a little I will give it another cleaning. Then gril some burgers for lunch and roast that pork for dinner tonight.

Every thing seems to be falling into place. Even the weather is getting better for tomorrow.

@Pat Smith - I'm not too worried about over cooking it, I generaly use a stay in type meat thermometer, and pull it off the BBQ at 145DEG. It is the cooking temp and the timing for diner time that has me most concerned.

Just relax and do your thing Mr Splice and i bet you will nail this cook!

Report back with the resault and good luck.

C Splice - am curious how you fared with your roast, if in fact you did cook it tonight. I've done one other rib roast, but what I did was cut off the bones, which were VERY meaty, and saved those for another cook. I cooked the roast at the higher temp (325°F or so) and not low-and-slow, and it turned out great. But, I'm curious how a low-and-slow rib roast would turn out. Let us know how yours did when you can!

Barret

SUCCESS!!!!!!!

The roast was awsome last night. Every thing went according to plan.

I did use the minion method for the first time and put the meat on at the begining controlling the temp as it climbed to the 320deg range.

I started with the vents at full and started closing the bottom vent as it approached 300deg. The move to half stalled the rise that I wanted to 320deg dead in its track. I openedthe bottom to full again and the highest temp I got was 340deg. I used the bottom vent to back ito off to around 310deg.

I didn't open the lid for 2 hours when my temp dropped to 290deg. I cleared some of the ash from the coals and trew some more in (this was my first mistake) I only added about 4-5 coals per side. I spent about 1/2 and hour trying to recover the heat which just didn't happen. It dropped to a low of 240deg.After a second look at my coal piles I realized how depleted my origional supply was. I filled up the baskets to full and I was back to controlling my temp in the low 300deg range within 20 min.

I didn't open the lid again until it was done. I had given myself lots of time (this was my second mistake) and the roast was done about an hour earlier than expected.

My excitement during the cook had raise everybodys anticipation of the meal. It was a first for everybody on a charcoal cooked roast. Everybody enjoyed it alot and one guy evne asked to take a slice home with him. Since that left me one slice for today I was OK with it, but cut off the request right there.

I did take pictures throughout the day yesterday and will try to get them posted today.

Next time I will figure out how to re-size the pics a little smaller.

Because it was done earlier than expected it became a little more medium and a little less rare sitting and waiting for the rest of dinner to be ready.

Thanks to all who offered their advise it was appriciated and definatley made a difference for my first big roast on my new preformer. This site and it's members are awsome.

Next weekend baby back ribs!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW! Craig, that's a good-looking roast you got there! I've had other types of roasts get done a bit early, as well, and they're not exactly at the condition that I had envisioned when we sit down to eat. But they still usually taste delectable!

Can't wait to see the pics of the baby backs...

Barret

That is one beautifully cooked piece. It looks to me that you nailed it right on.

Do you have water in the pans? Can't tell for sure.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back