$100 Weber summit.

TonyVH

8814AC84-1D3B-4B96-A247-21DC143BA5DB.png8EC0C71D-E372-47C1-81D2-407BFA17F20C.pngFirst time I have to deal with carbon on lid. Scored this bad boy on facebook. Any recommendation on how to make it new again?

Looks like a fun project. Is it for your personal use or to clean up and sell?

Others here have a ton of experience. I'm just curious

Its for personal use. Restored a couple of old weber genesis before for use. Tired of propane exchange so I am going to run a NG line for the backyard.

View attachment 39998View attachment 39999First time I have to deal with carbon on lid. Scored this bad boy on facebook. Any recommendation on how to make it new again?

The carbon on the lid indicates the front panel of the firebox is likely destroyed. This is the Achilles heal of the Summit.
It will be quite costly to repair that. Get it tore down, post some pics of the inside, and lets see what you have to work
with.
I just recently found/restored one. I was fortunate that the firebox is still in great condition. Otherwise, I would have passed
on it.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/261189169352161

Yah, before you get too far into it and start buying new grates, burners and other parts, post up some photos. Especially the panel in the cook box where the burners come through into the cook box. They don't make those panels any more and from the scortching on the lid, that is a good indication that that panel has rotted out around the burner holes. Unless you can find a local fabricator to replace that panel for a reasonable price, you probably don't want to get too deep into that grill with time and money.

Also, what does the inside of the cabinet area look like?

Yeah first rule of Summit restorations is pretty much...........................don't try. Money pits. Not trying to discourage your ambition but reality is reality

Larry is right. Tony, we are just trying to keep you from going down the rabbit hole that many on this list already have.
If that grill can be fixed, it would be a monumental steal at $100. But, others have gotten them for great prices and after a lot of hours and sometimes several hundred dollar more in parts, they find that they just cannot safely and economically restore the grill. The front panel is the big thing and then the cabinet on all but a few of them was made out of regular painted steel and often are covered in rust.

I'll just chime in to say that whether you decide to go with Summit or Genesis, Natural Gas is the way to go! My Genesis runs on NG and tonight when I make a rotisserie chicken I will have one hundred percent confidence that I will not run out of gas :)

Yah, before you get too far into it and start buying new grates, burners and other parts, post up some photos. Especially the panel in the cook box where the burners come through into the cook box. They don't make those panels any more and from the scortching on the lid, that is a good indication that that panel has rotted out around the burner holes. Unless you can find a local fabricator to replace that panel for a reasonable price, you probably don't want to get too deep into that grill with time and money.

Also, what does the inside of the cabinet area look like?
will post more pictures later today when the sun is out

Pictures of that ceramic coated panel that the burners come through into the cook box would be interesting as well.

Back