10 year old wants to makes sushi.

Bruno

TVWBB Honor Circle
My 10 year old really likes sushi and wants to mame his own, he got a sushi making kit and beginners book for Christmas and he has his eye on New Years Eve for his first run.

I wont eat the stuff so him and his mom can have some fun. I’d like to pick him up a couple proteins, any thoughts on how I can pick up some sushi grade salmon, maybe some crab for California rolls?

This is obviously not my turf (or surf) so any thoughts or advice would be welcome. As I typed this i just remembered we have a big fish shop here in our city. I used to walk by it to get to school and always thought it stunk. Good place to start I bet.

Thanks for any tips!

There's lots of Asian markets out my way and they sell all kinds of sushi stuff. Never bought anything sushi, I just go to them for the Peking Duck and eggroll wrappers, LOL

Bruno, start with Ranch 99 market.....I know there's one in Foster City, could be one closer to you. The fish monger you mentioned would be a great idea as well (though they won't have the seaweed and sushi rice that you need....) :)

Sounds fun!

R

Bruno, start with Ranch 99 market.....I know there's one in Foster City, could be one closer to you. The fish monger you mentioned would be a great idea as well (though they won't have the seaweed and sushi rice that you need....) :)

Sounds fun!

R
@Rich G offers a great starting point. Ranch 99 sells smaller fish portions for making sushi, so you won’t be stuck with buying a whole side of salmon, or tuna. For crab, I’d recco you buy the frozen crab sticks they sell, which aren’t really crab but have a great taste and is much less expensive than king crab.

You’ll need sushi rice and a pack of seaweed sushi roll paper (nori). I do think they sell these too as Ranch 99 does sell Japanese products (qewpie mayo, wasabi, furikake, and more).

Nori comes in a 10 sheets per pack which’ll be plenty for you. Wasabi comes in a tube, and it’s much better than the powder, IMO. I buy S&B brand. Have your son watch Chef Hiro on YouTube. He’s a master and you’ll learn everything you need to know to help your son: https://youtube.com/c/HiroyukiTeradaDiariesofaMasterSushiChef

For yourself, get some Asahi beer or a nice sake to enjoy.

Perfect Im currently working in Foster City I’ll look up Ranch 99 today.

Thanks for the tips guys!! I love Asahi beer with sake and that sounds like a great plan!!

Last edited:
Pick up a few Persian cucumbers at Ranch 99. Those with the crab make for a very easy roll for kids to make. And they’re good too.

Good suggestions so far.

I'd start trying to perfect the rice. That's the foundation.

Practice roll making with something simple and cheap like cucumber. If the first few get tossed out it's not an expensive experiment.

I get Wasabi in a tube vs making it from powder.

Good luck

Back