1" adapter needed for RD3 and Microdamper - I didn't pay close enough attention.

RKHanso

TVWBB Fan
I just bought THIS adapter off Amazon. I wasn't paying attention and didn't notice the diameter was smaller.
The adapter has smooth pipe, not threads and is 1" OD.

Does anyone make a 3-D printed adapter for both the RD3 and Microdamper that will fit on this pipe? Or have a file I can download and have my brother print for me?

I think I have a better (or maybe just a workable) idea.
I'm going to try to put some felt or insulation on the outside of the adapter pipe so the fan adapter (3-D printed plastic) fits tight around it.
Or, maybe easier - a suitable o-ring for a tight fit.

Last edited:
I posted something in this post that might help you.

Tom
I've already done something like that with my homemade adapter plate, but it doesn't work with this nice new adapter plate I bought.

The problem is - 1" NPT is about 1.25" in actual OD, and what the MicroDamper and RD3 plastic is made for.
But the new adapter plate I bought off Amazon is smooth and a true 1" OD. So the MicroDamper and RD3 won't fit on it.

IMG_20200304_101449793.jpg

IMG_20200304_101532299.jpg

Um, I would return the "nice new adapter plate" :) and go with something that works better. But that's just me.

Tom

Yeah even the BBQ Guru plate is 1.375" OD on its smooth tube so that is on the small side. Don't hardware stores carry 1" NPT to 1" tubing adapters? I have in my box o' HeaterMeter dampers a EMT conduit connector that has a ~1.25" OD threaded side (likely NPT 1") on one side and a ~1.15" ID smooth side with a locking screw. 3D printing one would take like an hour and $5 to ship so I would try the hardware store first, but if you're set on an adapter I can whip one out if you need it.

I'll try this first and see how durable the Gasket Cement/Stove Sealer goop is. If it breaks off, I'll look for a different solution.
Just slipped the electrical piece over the top of the smooth part on the adapter and gooped it up.

IMG_20200304_123911969.jpg

IMG_20200304_124114817.jpg

What are the measurements of the square opening? I could whip up and print an adapter to fit pretty quickly for you.

What are the measurements of the square opening? I could whip up and print an adapter to fit pretty quickly for you.
I do have a friend that has a 3D printer. I saw your blower/damper design on thingverse - and wonder if either the Adapter.stl or the Adapter_1inNPT.stl for yours would also fit on my RD3 housing. I could get that file to my friend and maybe he can modify it so it will fit on my metal adapter plate and print it?

It isn't easy to modify STL files after they've been exported, it is easier to just create it from scratch given that it is a cylinder with a cube and a cylinder subtracted from it. I've attached a zip with an STL and the source file that may fit, given my RD3 dimensions. The source file is OpenSCAD so if it doesn't fit you can just make it whatever size you want. I made it only have 0.5mm of padding to go around the dimensions:
RD3 output = w = 34, d = 27
Pipe = 25

RD3-to-1tubing.png

Attachments

• RD3-to-1tubing.zip
    12 KB · Views: 5

Back