Thread: - Resources for Planning a Texas BBQ Trip

If you're heading to The Lone Star State and want help planning a barbecue crawl, here are some good resources:

Read my article about the TVWB Central Texas Barbecue Crawl: Where To Go, What To Eat, And Tips For Planning Your Own Trip

Texas Monthly BBQ: From TexasMonthly magazine. They list the current Top 50 BBQ joints in the state, a list of 300+ reviews, visitor comments, a list of recent magazine articles about BBQ, and more.

Texas Monthly BBQ App: Reviews, ratings, directions/maps to the best BBQ joints in Texas for your iPhone or Android device.

Full Custom Gospel BBQ: Highly regarded Texas barbecue blogger Daniel Vaughn. AKA @BBQsnob on Twitter.

Man Up Texas BBQ: Another well-respected Texas barbecue blog.

Got more good resources to share? Just post a reply.

Regards,
    Chris

TVWBB Fan
    Roadfood.com has a Texas BBQ tour you can follow found here.

If you haven't had barbeque smoked with Oak you have to try it. I've been to Kreuz, Southside and Louie Mueller's on that list and I have to say Louie Mueller Barbeque has been burned into my soul as the place to go for brisket and beef ribs.
    SS Performer, 22.5" kettle, 18" WSM, 2 Smokey Joe's, Lodge Sportsman's Grill + a Weber 3 burner gasser

TVWBB Pro
    Every little Texas town with a meat market, butcher, will usually have BBQ. They process wild game for hunters and smoke sausage as a byproduct of their work. The fun is discovering them as you travel across Texas.

TVWBB Pro
    Thanks for this guys. For better or worse I am going to Dallas and will have a few days to kill. May be my only chance to get some real Texas BBQ. Chris, I got the app you mentioned above and I'm sure it will come in handy.
    18.5" WSM, Black Performer, Genesis CEP-310, Q-220, Jumbo Joe

Mark, Pecan Lodge at the farmers market in Dallas. Only open friday, saturday,sunday. Get there early(10:30am) by 2-3 its all gone! Been on DDD before, even busier now.
    22.5 WSM , Performer DO (2005)

TVWBB Hall of Fame Dwain Pannell's Avatar
    We're headin home to Dallas next month for my Mom's 80th. We're planning to hit Austin and Lockhart on our way to San Antonio and back thru Lockhart to Austin again then back to 'bama. Really looking forward to the trip. Pecan Lodge, Smitty's, and Black's are on the go to list. May try to hit Franklin's and/or Stubb's.
    Last edited by Dwain Pannell; 08-04-2014 at 05:30 PM.

TVWBB Pro
    http://www.communitywalk.com/texas_b...st/map/1572879 The BBQ Ranger has them all mapped!
    18.5 WSM - Q 2400 Electric - Platinum B - Genesis Gold w/SB - Cookshack Smokette Elite - Performer Platinum

TVWBB Super Fan
    I spent most of my adult life in Kansas City. I'll take KC ribs and pork over any place in the country, but Texas brisket puts all others to shame. There's nothing like it. That salty crisp crust and moist interior makes my mouth water just thinking about it. I'm going to have to travel in Texas for most of the month of October...I'm lining up my customer calls to fit in amongst my barbecue stops.
    Large Big Green Egg, 22.5 Bar-B-Kettle, Q3200 Redhead