Lid finish on the newer Q1200 and Q2200 models

A Lee

TVWBB Super Fan
Do all the new Q's made after 2014, with the rounder dome lid, have a rough matte finish on the lid? The older models used to have a smoother semi-gloss finish.

The rough finish looks like it stains easily and is harder to clean.

That finish is porcelain enamel from the factory. Weber does not offer a touch up spray paint, but I would like to see them do so.
High heat engine enamel will work to repaint the whole lid if you find a color that you like.

That finish is porcelain enamel from the factory. Weber does not offer a touch up spray paint, but I would like to see them do so.
High heat engine enamel will work to repaint the whole lid if you find a color that you like.

I highly doubt the exterior lid finish is porcelain enamel. People often sand it down and repaint it once it looks ugly. You won't be able to sand porcelain that easily.

Anyway, my question was about the sheen. Are all the newer post 2014 models rough and matte sheen? It looks like Australian models are better built. They sell the Q1200 and Q2200 with the smooth sheen. Even the colored models are smooth and shiny.

I imagine the matte finish is designed to cover up a less finished lid. Matte finishes are great at hiding imperfections. It sounds to me like Weber has decided to skip a final step in the lid preparation before it is painted by not sanding the lid lightly to get rid of that rough finish after casting. The use the matte finish to hide that fact due to the fact that it will absorb much more light than a shiny finish that reflects it.

My question is, how durable is the newer matte finish? The old finish was relatively durable.

I imagine the matte finish is designed to cover up a less finished lid. Matte finishes are great at hiding imperfections. It sounds to me like Weber has decided to skip a final step in the lid preparation before it is painted by not sanding the lid lightly to get rid of that rough finish after casting. The use the matte finish to hide that fact due to the fact that it will absorb much more light than a shiny finish that reflects it.

My question is, how durable is the newer matte finish? The old finish was relatively durable.

Then I guess north America is getting screwed...according to my research, all the Australian Q's, including the colored ones, have the smooth semi glossy finish

Do all the new Q's made after 2014, with the rounder dome lid, have a rough matte finish on the lid? The older models used to have a smoother semi-gloss finish.

The rough finish looks like it stains easily and is harder to clean.

I have two Q1200's. The first is a 2014 in Titanium and it's finish is the semi-gloss. The 2nd is a 2019 in black and it has the rough matte finish. I haven't had the black one very long as it was a clearance pick up from Target a month ago, so i can't speak to how easy it will clean up. The Titanium one is quite easy to wipe clean the exterior, but the color is also pretty boring in my opinion.

I have two Q1200's. The first is a 2014 in Titanium and it's finish is the semi-gloss. The 2nd is a 2019 in black and it has the rough matte finish. I haven't had the black one very long as it was a clearance pick up from Target a month ago, so i can't speak to how easy it will clean up. The Titanium one is quite easy to wipe clean the exterior, but the color is also pretty boring in my opinion.

Australia has semi gloss colored models! I wish my green one was smooth. They're known to stain permanently when oily smoke gets on it. A smooth finish would be easier to keep clean.

Yup, was at ace yesterday. The red q1200 is still rough. I have not heard or read anything from weber as to why. And yes, rough enough to not be easily cleaned or wiped with a rag as i do on my red q220.

I suppose Weber is saving $5 per grill by skipping the final finishing step on the lids. If so, a bad move in my opinion. The good thing is that these older Q grills last forever if you just replace the grates and burners ever so often. And I am still waiting to hear from someone that purchased a set of the SS grates for them. The grates are easily the weak point of these grills and a stainless solution would be a big plus if they work out well.

I suppose Weber is saving $5 per grill by skipping the final finishing step on the lids. If so, a bad move in my opinion. The good thing is that these older Q grills last forever if you just replace the grates and burners ever so often. And I am still waiting to hear from someone that purchased a set of the SS grates for them. The grates are easily the weak point of these grills and a stainless solution would be a big plus if they work out well.

I'm thinking they're maybe trying the "apple" way of making money. Make a grill that works great and lasts, but make it so that it falls apart cosmetically, then owners will buy new ones sooner.

Dont think they are doing that. I dont get the grate rust thing. I bought my q220 back in 2005 ? So my grate still looks basically new. I clean and oil it after each cook. Not the entire grate, just the top. Twice a year i give the whole grate a decent scrubbing. Then oil it up. I figure that this grate will last forever, at least my lifetime. Its cast iron, you have to take care of it minimally at least.

Dont think they are doing that. I dont get the grate rust thing. I bought my q220 back in 2005 ? So my grate still looks basically new. I clean and oil it after each cook. Not the entire grate, just the top. Twice a year i give the whole grate a decent scrubbing. Then oil it up. I figure that this grate will last forever, at least my lifetime. Its cast iron, you have to take care of it minimally at least.

It's probably because you live in a dry climate. Grates are more likely to rust in colder and wetter climates because people tend to stop using their grills once it gets cold. Then as it gets colder and wetter, moisture starts collecting on the grates, then sits there for months until late spring comes around.

Last edited:
We have more moisture than you might think. Anyway, i use mine through the winter. But it does get coverd when not in use. It is outside and getting wet with moisture collecting under the cover. I do no more than oil the grate with pam. No matter when i need to grill, the grate is rust free. Wipe and cook. This winter i didnt cook much and cooked on it after 4 months of not using it. Clean, no rust. So my experiance is that keeping it oiled is critical. Maybe its the pam ?

Ps, today i felt a black one. It was not smooth but not bad. Compared to the red one at ace, the black one would be considered smooth. Maybe a bad batch ?

I have noticed the difference looking at the red ones at my Ace. I need to go and check the "titanium" ones they have for sale there. My first impression wasn't really negative about it, but the comments about the rougher texture being very hard to clean do give me pause. Not sure what Weber is thinking or if, in fact, there is actually a quality control issue. The latter seems unlikely to me since it is obviously being seen everywhere.

I have noticed the difference looking at the red ones at my Ace. I need to go and check the "titanium" ones they have for sale there. My first impression wasn't really negative about it, but the comments about the rougher texture being very hard to clean do give me pause. Not sure what Weber is thinking or if, in fact, there is actually a quality control issue. The latter seems unlikely to me since it is obviously being seen everywhere.

It's not a quality control issue. Weber chose to put the rough matte texture on the north american Q models while sticking with a smooth shinier finish on the same models sold in Australia.

I think it was a cost decision. The Q series in Australia are regarded has higher end models where in north america they're considered lower models in the Weber line. BTW, has anyone noticed in Australia they sell a Q3200 and Q3600 built-in models?

Last edited:
Why do they get better grills than us? Can we come up with an "ism" for that? Grillism????

It's not a quality control issue. Weber chose to put the rough matte texture on the north american Q models while sticking with a smooth shinier finish on the same models sold in Australia.

I think it was a cost decision. The Q series in Australia are regarded has higher end models where in north america they're considered lower models in the Weber line. BTW, has anyone noticed in Australia they sell a Q3200 and Q3600 built-in models?

No, I hadn't heard of that...pretty cool! And, I agree with Bruce that is very odd to me that a company that started out in Chicago, IL USA doles out the coolest stuff to Europe and Australia and gives us the seconds:confused:!

Back