The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Operating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping

Thread: Any difference in gens?

TVWBB Member Chris in Central Ohio's Avatar

Any difference in gens?

I had a gen 1 WSM for 18 years, and just replaced it with the newest model.

Has anybody gone through this, and if so, are there any noticeable changes in operation/temp/cooking, etc?

TIA!
    Weber Genesis E-330- Weber 22" Performer w/gas assist - Weber 18.5" Smokey Mountain - Weber Smokey Joe

TVWBB Platinum Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    I think main difference is they changed the water pan to hold more water. Some people don't like it because it doesn't leave as much room for charcoal.
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Slow N Sear 2.0, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

The differences in features and capacities are listed in this article I wrote in 2009: http://virtualweberbullet.com/22wsm.html#18features

Then in 2014 they added the silicone grommet.

So in terms of cooking, it's really about the large water pan capacity, if you're using water. As Dustin says, it hangs too low for many people's preference, so you might continue using your old water pan if you still have it, or switch to this pan which is a pretty good fit: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...PZF41E/tvwb-20

I'm also looking at other options for alternative pans, so stay tuned.

TVWBB All-Star
    Thermometer, different door, larger water pan, heat shield on bottom, heavier duty legs. I still have the original but have cooked on newer ones. I didn't notice any difference with the cooks once they were broken in.
    Lew
    Bunch of Webers, Smoke EZ, GMG Daniel Boone, White Thermapen MK4

Merged two duplicate threads...please post in one forum only. Thanks!

TVWBB Fan
    I have a 2004 or 2006 model 18" wsm and a 2015 that has the door lever-bigger water pan- therm in the lid and heat shield. Both cook identical, I went through the process of making sure the sections are as round as possible so the sections don't have any air leakage. I have no use for the bigger water pan, the heat shield kept fall off so I took it off and use the shield covered in foil in place of the water pan to block direct heat and catch drippings. This may be nostalgia talking but I think I prefer the older version, not sure if weber has issues with the new handle material but I have a jumbo joe and the newer wsm both of which the handles keep coming loose . The joe lid handle is now stripped and need to get it replaced
    18 WSM <>JUMBO JOE <>PERFORMER 22-1/2