Almost finished fixing up a platinum-c genesis (2000?)

JPeters

Hey guys, I’ve been sprucing up a freebie genesis platinum-c but it’s been awhile and I was hoping someone could help me with a few final bits. The panel that covers the front of the firebox and goes from left to right vertical frame posts (has a hole in it to light). How does it get secured to the frame? I thought bolts, but it seems they’re just plain holes in the frame.

Also I’ve got a little bracket left over. I honestly can’t recall what it’s for.
8MRHFgw

Final thoughts:
I’ve got a lot of sweat equity into this thing, but the wife is ticked I didn’t talk to her first. I was planning on getting a new igniter, warming racks, grates and burners (maybe just a crossover) and converting the plastic wood shelves to cedar.

Does anyone have any good arguments? It’s smaller than she wanted, and it’s certainly not stainless steel and “shiny” with fancy features.

Pros:
The thing will probably last forever
Over 24 years old and I can still get parts for it
Has a rotisserie already

Cons:
A bit smaller than our current POS
No fancy electronic igniter (I honestly don’t care)
The 1000-5500 series is getting a bit harder to find parts for now.

Hey JP, so the panel is secured with hex head bolts on the top and black plastic buttons on the bottom just like this...

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/black-plastic-button-attach-side-panel-p-1476248.html

You can go to your local hardware store and try to find some button that matches as the one from Weber is kind of pricey IMO.

What kind of grill do you have? Can you post some pics? I thought you had a 2000 Genesis Platinum C but got thrown off when you said you wanted to convert the plastic wood shelves to cedar. So do you have a Silver C? If you do have a silver C then panel that you're talking about is just secured with the hexhead bolts on the top AFAIK. Here are some schematics of the grills..

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/w...ilver-grill-parts-c-193079_193087_193365.html

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/w...tinum-grill-parts-c-193079_193087_193344.html

Last edited:
Thanks guys. That’s it.

My model number is 330000. Year code is EO, so 1995?

It’s in decent shape. How good are these old ones? Worth putting money into?

Whoah, I was totally off...that's why pics help a lot lol. Yes, that is a nice grill you got there and worth putting money into if the frame is in good shape (no rust through). Put in some nice stainless grates and bars and you'll have a cooker that can probably cook as well or even outcook and outlast some (if not most) of the stainless and shiny grills that are found and the big box stores. I see you've got a roti also, you'll like it due to the burner conifguration (EW).

How do the old Webers compare to the new genesis II models?

Most of us here would be pretty united in saying that the older "classic" Genesis (1-5 and the x000 models) were a much more robust, simple design that was also engineered to work well. They are great cookers and easier to maintain. The new Genesis II grills are bigger and obviously have more "bling." They also offer some more complicated features that are nice while working but which require more maintenance down the road.

The biggest downer that most of us see in the last few versions (300 series grills 2007-11 and 2012-17 and now the Genesis II) is that rust has become a big problem, especially in the closed in cabinets but also in the bottom of the frame legs which all had casters on the 300 grills. The Genesis II brought back the open cart as an option and also having one side with regular wheels. It is too early to say how these will fare on warding off the rust monster, but both 300 series grills were terrible for this.

I would WAY RATHER have a well restored classic Genesis than a new II, but that isn't to say that the new grills don't grill well. They certainly look sharp. I just think you could restore yourself or purchase a restored grill by a member here with the very finest of high grade stainless insides and have a BETTER grill and even spend less money!

Yup and if you want a stainless frame (the good stainless) then be on the lookout for an 05 Genesis Platinum B or C. Those are considered the holy grail to some of us.

The only suggestion I have is to toss out those rusted old warming racks. I wouldn't even bother to replace them. They will just rust up again quickly and they seem to get in the way more than they get actually used anyway.

But that is a really pretty grill. Great choice for a rehab.

A++ on a really nice and not too common Weber grill. Love the green and pinstripes!

Now you just need to join the "Red Kettle Club" and paint the kettle in the logo red;)! Seriously, I think it would be a nice addition to that special grill.

Thanks All. Just one more thing. The frame paint turned out to be very fragile. Apparently tremclad high heat gloss black is garbage. Since rustoleum ultra black is near impossible to find in Canada can anyone suggest an alternate?

Thanks All. Just one more thing. The frame paint turned out to be very fragile. Apparently tremclad high heat gloss black is garbage. Since rustoleum ultra black is near impossible to find in Canada can anyone suggest an alternate?

All spray paint is fragile until it cures for 7 days so if you bump it with something you can have problems even after 7 days its just going on to thin. The other question is did you wipe the frame down with Acetone or something else before painting to make sure it was totally degreassed as you can have adhesion issues been there done that.

On the Silver C I just did used the Krylon which they sell in Lowes used the high heat max for the firebox and the high heat which is a lot cheaper for the lid will take a picture and post it but I see little difference and they are rated the same for heat. Also the Krylon has a nice nozzle one that does not break your finger after awhile.

Curious about that Tremclad as on the other board people have used it with success claim it was actually better than the rusto ultra.

Back