Even I won't fall for this one...but it is sentimental!

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
It is staying pretty quiet, so I am posting another oddity. Here's a pretty old Charbroil with a glass window in front. About as bad a condition as the Sunbeam I bought for 8 bucks, but this one is asking $75!!!! :rolleyes: Even with two full propane tanks, dream on:

VVwAl3C.jpg

CdyLE0V.jpg

C7krU9t.jpg

uN7NHYB.jpg

I actually "helped" a friend "barbecue" with a grill just like this when I first got married and new NOTHING about grills. I had them put a big sheet of foil under the grate. The little grill overheated and the glass shattered:(!

https://offerup.com/item/detail/631067105/

You should restore that grill and give it to that friend!

I'm not being serious, but that would be a karma thing for sure!

At least my Sunbeam was very unusual; I have yet to see another with the post and two wheel set-up I remember from as a kid. This one is not as unusual. I even saw a similar one that was a long leftover still new in the box. The glass seems like a kind of cool idea but if I had hopped up this one like I did my Sunbeam I would have a second shattered glass hood to my credit:eek:!

I had a charbroil H burner that lasted 20 years. I finally retired it ~2012 as all the wood was rotted and metal had rusted. It was a pretty good grill. So I made the mistake of buying another Charbroil. It lasted 2 years of constantly breaking parts and Charbroil sending me replacements including the entire firebox until finally I had enough and wheeled it to the curb and got a Weber.

I had a charbroil H burner that lasted 20 years. I finally retired it ~2012 as all the wood was rotted and metal had rusted. It was a pretty good grill. So I made the mistake of buying another Charbroil. It lasted 2 years of constantly breaking parts and Charbroil sending me replacements including the entire firebox until finally I had enough and wheeled it to the curb and got a Weber.

That's a pretty familiar story to a lot of us here! What kind of Weber did you buy and how has it done for you?

Yah, some may feel that Weber has dipped in quality over the past ten years, but I don't think they are the only ones.
Just think how many people walk into a Walmart or Home Depot and look at grills and see the $700 Genesis II and a NexGrill sitting next to it with a price tag of $250. Bot with three burners and lots of shiney parts. The average joe is going to pick the $250 grill the vast majority of the time. NexGrill will probably sell 4 of their grills to one of the Webers. It is hard to compete with that and Weber and other companies that produced high quality grills ten and twenty years ago, have trouble trying to win back some of that "disposable" grill crowd without sacrificing and skimping on materials and workmanship.

I remember in 1998 when I bought my new genesis 1000LX and paid almost $500 for it my neighbor thought I was nuts. He told me he just bought a new charbroil three burner for $110 and could buy three more and some steaks for what I paid for my Weber. Fast forward, 21 years later I still have that Weber and I've replaced the porcelain grates with cast iron grates and Rcplanebuyers FBs, that's it.
Wonder If my old neighbor still has his charbroil or the other three he might have bought.

I remember in 1998 when I bought my new genesis 1000LX and paid almost $500 for it my neighbor thought I was nuts. He told me he just bought a new charbroil three burner for $110 and could buy three more and some steaks for what I paid for my Weber. Fast forward, 21 years later I still have that Weber and I've replaced the porcelain grates with cast iron grates and Rcplanebuyers FBs, that's it.
Wonder If my old neighbor still has his charbroil or the other three he might have bought.

Probably all in a landfill by now:eek:!

;););)

No, not interested. I only went for that Sunbeam because it was so unusual to see a single post grill with the rolling wheels and tank holder. I also thought it would be fun to give it a new lease life. It was, but I plan to stick with Webers. I missed a chance to get a really nice large size Broilmaster for $125, but that is OK. If it hadn't been tax season I might have gone for that, based on my success in selling them at a profit. Also missed out on a poorly advertised Lynx, but someone else figured that out and grabbed in within a day. Otherwise, the only crazy grill on my horizon is to find the right Weber Spirit that still had the Genesis E-W burners and hang my Snap-On remainders on it. Even that will be a Weber.

Back