Brisket tacos! (And, some learnings along the way....)

Monty House

TVWBB Pro
Had a CAB 15 lb packer in the fridg wet-aging for awhile and decided to do an overnighter with no precip in the forecast. Low's in the lower 30's but crystal clear.

50/50 Dalmation--Kosher & CBP
Qf1wHBv.jpg

syexsxy.jpg

My 3:30am navigational beacon (Tru-Tel)
XcwqNv2.jpg

Looking good about Hour 9
ExKfEp5.jpg

Leftovers tonight (I wish there was more point left!)
MbstXv7.jpg

Learnings? Biggest was that my bark wasn't flavorful enough--I never re-seasoned after multiple spritzings (2/3 apple juice + 1/3 apple cider vinegar). I was worried about making it too salty, but I went too far the other way.

Another: I don't think I'm going to jam (over-jam?) the ring full for an overnighter. (I used KBB.) I had temps (with three vents no more than a sliver open and a full pan of water) running near 300. Instead, I'll do 1/2-2/3 full ring and replenish in the morning.

And, another: Next time, I'd personally leave only one--the leeward--vent open just a crack. The WSM isn't going to be oxygen-starved. I think cross-ventilation really helps the temps to climb. (This is after owning one for over 10 years.)

Final from this cook: I wrapped for the last hour. Temp was mid-180's and there was still some resistance/squeakiness upon probing. I used butcher paper after giving it a good spritz. 45 min later--probed like butter and temp was 185.7. HUH? Gave it another 15 min--again, probing easily but temps stuck at 185. Moral of the story: Yes, wrapping it can do funky things to your internal temps, either high or low--I've had both. Trust the probe (!!), not the temp.

Delicious. Happy guests. Homemade guac & pickled veggies. Fresh corn tortillas from the local mercado. Cheers, friends.

Looks great Monty. I only do one brisket a year on smoke day, so for me it's a new learning experience every year. I will say the five I've done all came out great.

Back