Grill Cleaner or best way

Carl Breit

I'm wondering what everyone uses to clean their BBQ grill. I've been getting the grill up to 500 degrees after BBQng and then just brushing with a wire brush the grills. I know there are a lot of different ways and different brushes everyone uses, I'd sure would like to know what every one uses and the best ways are.
Right now I have the stainless steel grills, but also some PC grills.
Carl

I do it the same way as you. Have done it that way for years with excellent results. Often will also give the grates a quick brushing after bringing the grill up to temp for a cook.

Your method is an excellent, quick method of cleaning the grates. I used that method until I let the scare of a stray wire worry me, which I mostly ignored until I replaced what I thought I had been using was a high-end brush and it shed like a cat. So now I use the Char-broil nylon brush (red tips, replaceable head), which means I need to clean grates after dinner when they are cooler to the touch. It's effective but not as much so as the burn-off, wire method.

I occasionally see some fancy looking BBQ wire brushes, just wondering if any are better then others . Or just a regular old wire brush

IF you have stainless steel wire rod grates, you will not find a better tool than the Chargon grate cleaner. It by far will beat out brushes, pads, and other tools for cleaning your grates. Plus, it is so quick and simple. It seems like a cheap gimick, but I have used many other tools and this by far is the best. But, it won't work well for Cast Iron or stamped steel grates.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00UI1X0L2/tvwb-20

Wow Tim, that looks pretty heavy duty!
How long have you used it and how well is it holding up?
I’ve been using a Billy Bar and like it a lot but, like the rest of us here, still looking for improved designs.

I just got it so only used it twice ( rib-eye roast) and after a rib cook today I'll give a better review. It's a wide as the Weber triangle brush so it does about 10 rods on the WSM or kettle with one pass.
It doesn't clog up as fast because of the three rows and really powers thru the gunk.
My Son bought it for me because of the solid reviews /warranty so we'll see..:)

Tim

I use a wooden one where you burn the edge with the grill bars to form the grooves. works ok, if its really bad, Ill clean it with oven cleaner, works better if you put the grill into a garbage bag after spraying so it doesnt dry out too fast, then just hose it off.

I use a wooden one where you burn the edge with the grill bars to form the grooves. works ok, if its really bad, Ill clean it with oven cleaner, works better if you put the grill into a garbage bag after spraying so it doesnt dry out too fast, then just hose it off.

I have the wooden one. I think it would work fairly well on stainless rod grates but agree with Bruce that the Chargon is the cat’s meow. I use my wood one on my GrillGrates, and for those I think it is the perfect tool. Burns in to match the shape of the flat top grates and not too harsh on the anodized aluminum.

So after 3 racks of loin back ribs (rubbed and sauced) I thought it did a good job post cook on a warm grate.
Fired up the big boy WSM today for a pork loin and used it again to clean off any residue.
It does the job as advertised.

Tim

Sorry if I am over-stepping here (only my 3rd post). I think the super-heating then scrubbing off the ash method is fine for a quick clean of the grill grates between cooks. But it does not, in my experience, help with the grease and soot that accumulate under the grates and in the fire box. For this on my grill I remove the grates and the non-attached pieces in the fire box as well as the drip pans and clean each off, mostly with Dawn soap and water. Then I scrub out the fire box using a small butter knife and gently clean off the burners using a very small brush. Finally, I use a shop vac to remove all the loose debris. I then fire it up and gently oil the grates. After everything cools, I clean the outside with Bar Keepers Friend. I try to do this 2x/year but at the very least in the early spring prior to the heavier use seasons.

Paul,
You’re making me feel REALLY lazy!
I do that kind of cleaning every three or four years but, ONLY, if it’s the second Thursday of the week!
Have a good day!

I just use the $1 wire brushes from WalMart. They are really easy to clean.

I soak them in Dawn and hot water for 10 minutes in a small plastic container (think Oxyclean). I brush the bristles from 2 brushes against each other to clean the gunk out in-between the bristles. Most of the time a good hard spray gets all of it out and they look like new again (except a bit bent).

Back