Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kingsford SteakAger

TVWBB Super Fan
    How do you guys control humidity in your fridge when dry ageing? I believe that is all the smallest one does. When I have herd of guys doing it in the fridge it involved wrapping and re wrapping the cut of meat in a clean cotton cloth / cheese cloth.
    18.5 WSM. 22.5 OTS

TVWBB Platinum Member LMichaels's Avatar
    I just drape them with paper towel and change them occaasionally

Dry aging is not for everyone. I dry age whole ribeye roasts vertically in a dorm size refrigerator. I have a computer fan to circulate the air and an UV light to kill germs. Humidity control for one roast is not critical as once the outer layer dries the humidity doesn’t matter. I started with 3 rib roasts horizontally and am now doing whole roasts vertically. My family likes the tenderness dry aging produces. You cannot dry age individual steaks, as meat ages the outer layer dries out and has to be cut off. There will be little meat left after it is cut off.

The Kingsford SteakAger is interesting. The different sizes looks like they want to meet everyone’s need. They have air circulation and UV light. They say they remove the moisture (as all refrigerators do), but it is not humidity control. Prices are high but not outrageous - https://www.thesteakager.com/shop

With a little ingenuity you can dry age for less. I am sure the will sell some of them. If not I’ll keep an eye out for the large one when the go on sale. If this thread continues, I’ll post some links for diy dry aging.
    Russell
    Russell
    If you're not on somebody's *hit list, you're not doing anything worthwhile

The “Original SteakAger” was a device you put in the bottom of your fridge to dry age. It seems like Kingsford bought/combined with them and now offer three additional refrigerators for dry ageing meat.

Time will tell if people will be willing to pay the price they are asking. It seems like a good product.
    Russell
    Russell
    If you're not on somebody's *hit list, you're not doing anything worthwhile

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12