First Cook on my 18.5" WSM

HCintineo

TVWBB Member
Hey all,

I picked up a barely used WSM from a guy on Craigslist the other day so I made some spare ribs on the 4th. I got a really good deal on it ($200), and the guy said he only used it twice before he realized that it cooked exactly the same as his kettle so decided to get rid of it. He already added the caster kit and gaskets around all of the pieces and door. Plus it came with a Weber cover.

Anyway, for the cook, I used the Minion method starting with one chimney of unlit coals and half a chimney of lit coal. I filled the water bowl about halfway. I monitored temperatures with the thermometer on the lid, which read about 225-250 the entire cook. I also used my digital probe on the lower rack (right above the water bowl), which read about 205-215 the whole time. I'm assuming the difference is due to the fact that the placement of the digital probe, it was only reading the temp of the boiling water. Internal temperate of the ribs got up to about 202, but those reading were really inconsistent. Overall, they came out extremely well. Great flavor from the rub and smoke. I didn't brush on any BBQ sauce throughout the cook though. Also, the racks ended up being too big to fit all the way across the grate so I cut them in half before I put them on.

I'm looking forward to playing around with the smoker and trying some new things. Feel free to share some of your favorite recipes, as well as other resources for learning more about cooking on the WSM!

Happy belated 4th everyone!

DHk54Oo.jpg

qcdLy4w.jpg

23IBHPt.jpg

qs06wqP.jpg

H8yxPuZ.jpg

rxr1bf9.jpg

IJaP4NM.jpg

Good on your first smoke :D

Cover comes standard with the WSM. BUT you still got a good deal what with the gaskets and wheels already attached ;)

Dome probe usually (always? sometimes it's even accurate ! ) reads higher or lower than a "real" thermo. I'd go by your digital and use it on the top rack. Even if that temp goes up by 10-20-even30 degrees, it's not a big deal. Much lower than 225o and you want to get it up to 250-260 in any case

Man those ribs look delicious. Awesome buy on your WSM 18.5 your going to like it.

Why didn't you use the rubber port hole on the side to run the wires instead of closing the lid on them which could damage them? That is the great benefit of the newer models with the rubber port for the temp probe wires. My 18 & 22 are older models and don't have the port but my 14 inch does and it is much nicer to use VS running the wires through the top lid vent which is what I do on my 18 & 22

Rob offers a very important tip, use the rubber grommet for probe wires, much better and less possibility of damage to the wires. Other than that, excellent deal on the smoker and, nice first run!

Back