Recipe Software

Karen Elliott

TVWBB Member
Does anybody have recommendations for recipe management software?

I have used Living Cookbook to organize my recipes for years and really enjoyed it. But it hasn't been upgraded in years and the company is basically defunct. So I'm looking for a worthy replacement. The feature that I loved the most was how easy it was to capture recipes that I found here or anywhere on the internet.

Thanks

You mean software in which you do the input? If so why not use MS Word and make a nice template and simply fill in the blanks of that template?

LMichaels, I use LibreOffice rather than the Microsoft suite. But anyway, I want the indexing and nutrient calculation functionality of a dedicated cookbook software.
I'll check out Mastercook ( I haven't used it in ages) and Paprika.
It is so sad when good software is orphaned.

Diet Organizer

The above free program is used for weight loss purposes, but you can create recipes using it's built-in data base, and the program will give you the nutritional value of these recipes as well.

I never realized such software existed. Paprika looks impressive (probably because I'm running a Mac) but it also offers portion scaling.

I'm just an infant with it, cuz I just bought it after reading this thread, but I am digging Paprika. Thus far, it has successfully clipped recipes from all sites I tried. I appreciate the scaling option and the pantry feature is quite convenient (I am always forgetting what spices I have). I'm not suggesting it is any better than others--I don't know since I have never used recipe software--but these programs can be a handy resource if they are intuitive, which this one seems to be thus far.

Now, I'll probably discover some horrible flaw tomorrow ;). Having said this, I do want to check to see if my data resides somewhere on my local machine that--in some fashion--I could access and manipulate it elsewhere if need be if the vendor were to go out of business.

Last edited:
I'm just an infant with it, cuz I just bought it after reading this thread, but I am digging Paprika. Thus far, it has successfully clipped recipes from all sites I tried. I appreciate the scaling option and the pantry feature is quite convenient (I am always forgetting what spices I have). I'm not suggesting it is any better than others--I don't know since I have never used recipe software--but these programs can be a handy resource if they are intuitive, which this one seems to be thus far.

Now, I'll probably discover some horrible flaw tomorrow ;). Having said this, I do want to check to see if my data resides somewhere on my local machine that--in some fashion--I could access and manipulate it elsewhere if need be if the vendor were to go out of business.

I see where my next $20 is going.

to the OP, I haven't had much luck, I'm next in line for paprika. I tried evernote, onenote, I've even gone so far as to post a threat titled "recipes from my browser tabs" :)

I've been collecting cookbooks like crazy.....well maybe not like crazy, but I buy a lot. One thing I like about having the kindle version of CBs is I can pull into the parking lot and make sure I have everything before I go in. My living room tv (home theater pc) is visible from the kitchen (have to peek around a corner sometimes) so I can pull something up on it and scroll with a wireless keyboard or mouse.........my friends tolerate it when I put pandora or movies in the background while I cook/get things going.

One thing I hope that Paprika will do is pull the recipes from cookbooks I own (easily) and store them into a folder called "Clint's Keepers" or something like that. I have certain recipes that I've "perfected" and repeat often. Earlier this week, I had to wonder which CB I pulled my Mexican Rice recipe from (I have probably 3-4 America's Test Kitchen cookbooks that have it------huge ATK fanboy here). I just pulled the first ATK CB on kindle on my living room pc & followed that close as I could, but the synch (3 device limit is doable) seems nice.

I'll be sure to report back if the software is Kick A. or if I struggle with it.

I'll be sure to report back if the software is Kick A. or if I struggle with it.

Regarding my comment on where Paprika stores our personal data (and I write this based on the OS X operating system), I found that I can export my Paprika database as HTML. I think that's good enough for my concern for wanting redundancy. Of course, it can also export as a Paprika file in case that's useful for others' interests (maybe, for instance, competing software apps have provision for importing Pap files). I also found where it stores its native Pap database files on my local drive. What I could do with those, I don't know yet but even if Pap did not exist some day (wiping out their cloud backup) I would anticipate I could still run my app and export the database files for use elsewhere. iTunes backups are also possible.

Each recipe stores a thumbnail image of the item but it is also possible to add other images tied to a given recipe. At this time, when I print a recipe it prints just the thumbnail and not the added photos. I may be doing something wrong but, then again, that is no big concern to me. But since I'm not an experienced chef, it could be useful as a visual on how to do something - an example: I added pics on how to butterfly a lobster tail.

Pap's site seems to have a robust support/help area.

This is decent! I've just saved 3 of my favorite recipes:

https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2012/10/ultimate-ranch-dressing-ultimate.html

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/232395/chef-johns-creamy-blue-cheese-dressing

https://www.americastestkitchen.com...?incode=MASAD00L0&ref=new_search_experience_2

the first recipe I tried to save I must've done something wrong so I re-tried & the following 3 went easily. The ATK (third) is a subscription website, and even though I was logged in, I had to log in using paprika's browser too. It saved the recipe in a nice looking format with the nutrition info too..

I just tried the trial version so far. Now to see if I can get it to work with kindle ebooks..................

Maybe it's standard among all recipe software but I'm very impressed by the layout; its text formatting tools are handy, too. Even more impressive is that it doesn't capture ads. All for $20. Well, $29 for Mac.

I'm official - I have it on win10 & win7 PCs & an android phone - the android app cost $4.99, couldn't find a way around that.

The app took a minute to get used to as there are different tabs to flip through to see the ingredient list & then the directions.

I have 23 recipes all sync'd, appears they're all stored on each local device.

Still working with it - I definitely like it so far.

last year black friday was about half off: http://www.paprikaapp.com/blog//2017/11/24/black-friday-sale/

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind having more advanced search options in Paprika.

This is my biggest complaint as well. Version 3 has many more features than the previous version so I have hope the next version will have better search capabilities. Otherwise I have really liked this software.

RE: Paprika search option. Just now discovered that in the search window, at the left side, there is a dropdown arrow. From there you can check any or all fields from which to perform a search. I think that eliminates my search complaint :)

RE: Paprika search option. Just now discovered that in the search window, at the left side, there is a dropdown arrow. From there you can check any or all fields from which to perform a search. I think that eliminates my search complaint :)

I'm still creating categories, only up to 27 recipes. I just added this salsa verde to it (5 stars!) and created a "Mexican" category.....

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?73...amp-Tomatillo)&p=809902&viewfull=1#post809902

funny, I bring this stuff (recipe software) up with people IRL & they're not nearly as interested as some here - it's nice to have other enthusiasts here :)

I'm not complaining, but I wonder if we hijacked her thread.............. (sry!)

Back