Picnic: Skin off or on?

ChadVKealey

TVWBB Pro
Went to the local BJs to get a boston butt for Saturday but they were out :mad: so I had to get a 10# picnic. I've cooked dozens of butts over the years, but never done a picnic.

I've been reading and youtubing and it seems like some folks leave the skin on, while others take it off. For those of you who cook picnics, how do you prep them?

From what I've seen/read, the picnic takes a bit longer/has to cook to a higher internal temp. The goal is to serve it around 5:00 PM Saturday, so I'm thinking an overnight cook and long rest in a cooler are going to be the best approach (as opposed to getting up stupid early Saturday morning).

I’d start with the skin on, then remove it and let that cook up for some cracklings.
It will slow the initial cook some, that’s true but, it will be great!

@Chad - What are you looking to do with it, pulled pork? If so I'd remove so you can get some great bark where the skin would be laying. I use picnics for Pernil and I leave the skin on for that.

@Chad - What are you looking to do with it, pulled pork? If so I'd remove so you can get some great bark where the skin would be laying. I use picnics for Pernil and I leave the skin on for that.

Yup, pulled pork. I'm liking Tim's suggestion re: cracklins, though. Might have to give that a try, if only to see my wife's reaction.

Completely forgot about doing Pernil, that is a pretty good suggestion Larry! I have not done one of those in quite a while.
Either thing you do will be delicious!
I’m just getting things sorted out for a brisket cook for Sunday!
Happy birthday John Wayne! Wild Turkey, pulled pork, smoked sausages, tequila, bacon wrapped tots, stuffed jalapeños, cheesy potatoes, beans, apple pie! Much to do.
And my band for some digestive music playing!

Yep, Timothy is right. I would leave the rind on. Picnic is leaner ( like a ham) than a butt and that added cushion of fat and skin IMO keeps it moist.
I've never pulled one like regular BBQ, I usually do a Latin version rubbing the meat with a paste of red wine vin, garlic , oregano and S&P.
Score the rind with a sharp knife and brush it with water on the hour and baste with any drippings. ( I cook it in a pan on a rack) The water helps the rind stay soft or chew able.
I only take mine to 180ish for slicing, because I believe it behaves more like a ham.

Tim

Alright, now I want to do a Pernil! I have ribs, burgers, brisket, sausages all on tap and ready to go and now you guys are making me want to change course! There’s always next week!

For pulled pork, I normally get picnic roasts. They're cheaper, is the main reason. I've both removed the cover, and left it on. If I leave it on I slice underneath it and put rub under there. I honestly can't tell much difference in the results.

Back