Keto Friendly Rubs

LarryR

TVWBB Diamond Member
Started doing keto diet end of last year, down 50+ lbs, haven't smoked anything in that time not due to diet, just too busy. Going to smoke this weekend and I was curious if anyone on here has done any ketogenic friendly rubs?

Thanks in advance!

There's plenty I'm sure. Salt and Pepper is always good. People tend to want to put sugar on pork, myself included, but you can always go straight savory.

There's plenty I'm sure. Salt and Pepper is always good. People tend to want to put sugar on pork, myself included, but you can always go straight savory.
@dustin - Agree, however the family prefers a sweeter rub. I suppose I could use some powder stevia vs. sugar in my standard rubs.

Larry, firs of, let me congratulate you on the weight loss! Losing 50 lbs is not an easy task, no matter the diet plan you follow. That said, I would have to think that the amount of sugar used in the rub of your choice will not affect you or your diet. I realize you didn't get to where you are without paying close attention to your daily intake, but I think in this instance (again only my opinion) you're splitting hairs.
Again, congrats on the weight loss,
Tim

Larry, firs of, let me congratulate you on the weight loss! Losing 50 lbs is not an easy task, no matter the diet plan you follow. That said, I would have to think that the amount of sugar used in the rub of your choice will not affect you or your diet. I realize you didn't get to where you are without paying close attention to your daily intake, but I think in this instance (again only my opinion) you're splitting hairs.
Again, congrats on the weight loss,
Tim
@Tim - Thanks! To be honest, losing the weight eliminating carbs has been super easy. I'm embarrassed to say I haven't exercised once, just eaten a lot of fat and under 20 total carbs a day and the weight just fell off. I've got another 10-15 to lose and I'm thinking I'm going to have to exercise to lose these last few lbs as my weight loss has slowed down tremendously.

Here's the "real" reason I want to eliminate sugar in my rubs, I also want to sip a few beers around the pool, and I'd rather get my carbs/sugars from the beer vs. rub LOL.

What I do is cut the sugar by at least half - I find it isn't really missed. Sometimes I just flat out leave it out. My family likes sauce so for them I make the sauce either with the full sugar or I find a sweetener that is acceptable on my plan. We can have maple syrup and honey in limited amounts - I often substitute them, especially for a sauce i am making for me and then I may just make a small batch of sauce for me and another batch with brown sugar or molasses for my family.

I find stevia to have a pretty funky lingering aftertaste when heated so I wouldn't use it.

I like Carrie Ann’s direction, make the sauce the sweet component. I’ve become less interested in sauced product unless it seems dry. I’ve not used stevia but, I bow to others knowledge.

Maybe a good mustard sauce and plain rub. Works great for pulled pork. Congratulations! I try to stay in shape. You must still be losing weight cause I keep finding it ;(

I absolutely love Weber's Roasted Garlic and Herb Seasoning on pork. Garlic is surprisingly high in carbs especially garlic powder but the label on the spice jar says zero carbs per 1/4 tsp. To count macros using it I just use the one for garlic powder. A lot of seasonings I still use has sugar in it but it is way down in the ingredient list.

Back