Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canning

TVWBB Fan
    Thanks everyone. I've been doing some research and the ball blue book seems to be a starting point. Canning isn't something i plan on doing very soon. We're putting our house on the market in july, and looking to move out to the country. We've had enough of the suburbs. So with moving,selling, settling in, it's gonna be a bit before we plan and plant a garden. I like to do my research in advance. I dont mind the work that comes with canning or caring for a garden. Especially when i can enjoy the rewards that come after the hard work. Gardening and planting will be alot of fun. Our friend has a tiller to prep the garden. Thanks again
    18.5 weber kettle, 18.5 wsm, thermaQ, thermapen

TVWBB Pro
    My wife grew up on a farm. They grew or raised almost everything they ate.

We grow a lot of food. We usually pick what we want to eat or can. The rest of the family comes over a couple times a week
    and picks mostly strawberries, tomatoes, cucumbers and green beans.

We have well over 100 jars (pressure cooked) on the shelves right now. I even can (water bath method) wort for yeast starters for my home brew.

Until you actually get a book why not give this site a read: http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/pu...ions_usda.html
    Bill: WSM 22.5 BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2 : Maverick ET-733 : BHG Gas Grill: His & Hers John Deere Lawn Tractors

TVWBB Pro
    Two tips while you're planning for canning. When considering a pressure canner, think about capacity. This is somewhat going to depend on what you plan on canning. For jellies and jams, pint jars are likely to be most practical. Quart jars will likely go bad before you can use all the contents and half-pint jars are too small to be worth the effort. Half-pints are more for when you want to share your efforts with others. For tomatoes, fruits, and most other things you're likely to can, quart jars will be the most practical. If you plan on canning a lot of tomatoes, look for a canner that will take a good load of quart jars.

The other thing is canner height. I unknowingly bought a canner that was too tall to fit on my stove. Be sure you have enough clearance. I ended up using the propane burner and stand from a turkey fryer kit whenever I used the canner. As it turned out this was somewhat a blessing as canning season was near the hottest time of the year so moving all the hot stuff outside wasn't such a bad move.

If you're going to do tomatoes in large quantity you might also want to think about an automated peeler/seeder. They can save you a load of time and give you a better end product. I have a small one that has a lot of plastic parts. It was cheap. It fundamentally works okay but isn't well designed for large production runs. If you're putting up several gallons at a time you probably want a larger model that doesn't clog up with skins so easily.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12