Anybody try a pellet grill and regret it?

W_Stewart

TVWBB Fan
While researching pellet grills/smokers someone offered the following bit of advice: 'Don't get rid of your WSM'

Well, after 2 days of using my new pellet grill I'm ready to sell it for scrap and buy the 22" WSM I should have bought. Maybe I'm just too used to the (delicious) flavor profile of my 18.5" WSM, but the pellet flavor is...significantly different. I don't even recognize the flavor of the run or the meat of the brisket I smoked yesterday. Also finding the pellet grills have a significantly larger temp swing than the manufacturers advertise and most people on the forums say it is normal.

Just not feeling good about the situation and wondering why I didn't listen to that little voice in the back of my head.

I've owned my used Pellet Grill for one week and cooked on it twice. I did a Ribeye Steak and a Boston Butt so far. My wife said she couldn't taste the difference but I could. I never heavily smoke anything because that's what she prefers. I prefer stronger smoke flavor.

I can definitely understand why you feel disappointed. My taste buds are calibrated by charcoal. :wsm::blackperformer: 53 years of charcoal cooking will do that. My 52 year old son was shocked that I would get a pellet burner. I will die owning Webers and the pellet burner is just an addition to the stable and it may become my Pizza oven.

I suspect that you were swayed by the convenience aspect of pellet grills but now realize that you value flavor more. Chalk it up to experience and move on. Life's too short to beat yourself up over this.

I just can't get behind the idea at least for myself. Maybe if you get a really nice one it makes a difference. I see the pros and cons. I also don't like ATCs. Arguably a WSM is pretty darn easy compared to stick burning.

I am wanting 1 for the convenience but the wife is resisting,she has been having issues with smoke and even though I tell her it leaves a very lite flavor instead of a heavy 1 shes against it :(

I am wanting 1 for the convenience but the wife is resisting,she has been having issues with smoke and even though I tell her it leaves a very lite flavor instead of a heavy 1 shes against it :(

I feel your pain! My wife told me she doesn't like ribs. Luckily she loves pulled pork and brisket. She'll eat the ribs, it just isn't her thing.

My daughter has a mid size Traeger pellet grill and loves it. Barb and I have had some things that were grilled on it and I thought it was fine. They got it for the set it and forget it way of grilling. They entertain a lot and it allows them more time to socialize instead of being tied down to the grill.
Not my cup of tea but if your not into grilling and smoking I guess it's as good as any.

I bought my pellet grill for the convenience factor, which was the exact same reason that I bought a gas grill. Charcoal will probably always be my base, as it’s what I think of first when I think of cooking on the grill, but I don’t always enjoy the dirtiness. There have been times where changing clothes was not an option, like the times I’ve had to grill for my teams at work, and a pellet grill or a gasser would check all the boxes for those situations for me. Add a $20 smoke tube and try to mix and match pellet flavors before you send it to scrapper is my suggestion to you. Good luck!

Back