The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Operating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smoked Chicken.

TVWBB Fan
    So far, I've been using the top grate.

Is that the best for the smoked chicken, or is the middle one better? Or does it not matter?

TVWBB Fan
    Also, I've been putting a small pan underneath to catch any extra drippings that the vertical roaster's round pan might not.

I just wanted to point that out, in case it was affecting any of the cooking or flavor negatively.

http://i.imgur.com/gmOMUew.jpg

TVWBB Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwain Pannell View Post
    A1: I usually don't add more smoke wood so can't help there. I prefer a subtle kiss of smoke playing a supporting role vs the smoke dominating the taste. You and the folks you cook for may be different. Cook for yourself and those around you. If they like it you'll be asked to cook more.

A2: If you kept going it would cook more. 30 min wouldn't hurt but much more and I believe it'll begin to dry out.

Remember: this is cooking an agricultural product outside on open flame. Just because it takes 15.452 minutes to fire up the cooker, 1.3546 hours to cook a chicken to 162.25*F today, does not mean the time will be the same tomorrow or a week from tomorrow. Wind, temp, humidity, tender vs onery chicken, how it was prepared, etc will all play a part. Put your bird on, Ck back in a little while, adjust if necessary, and Ck back a little later.

I had to learn also: Relax. This is not meant to be stressful. It'll be done in a little while. Should take about an hour and a half give or take.
    Another part of the reason I keep track of the time (sort of done for me with the Flame Boss) is so I know roughly what time I need to start by.

Do I need to start by 12pm, 5pm, or 9pm? If I'm cooking on a weekday, then a 9pm start is sometimes what happens. So I need to consider things things that I'll be able to finish within a few hours.

Since I've now seen a chicken takes at least 4 hours, for weekdays it would be best if I planned it for days that I could get home a little earlier.

Other times, if I really want to make something that day, I'll start it at 9pm or 10pm if I have to even if I don't finish until 12am-1am.

Also, I cook for myself most of the time. I only cook for others things either I think I make well, or I think I can make well. I don't want to give others something that I don't think is my best.

I can eat my own cooking if it's not great. I can reflect on the learning process.

But when considering others, I only give them options for things that I think I do well. So if I don't like how I make something yet, then I'm not going to suggest they try it from me until I've gotten better at it.

You must be cooking yours at a higher temperature if yours is taking about an hour an a half. When I did a roasted chicken in the oven, a 375 degrees, it took about that long.

For this lower temp cook in the WSM, it's at least 4 hours.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12