Hard time keeping temperature stable

Joseph

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum but I've been reading a lot from here the past couple of weeks. I'm not new to smoking as I had an Old Smokey electric smoker for a few years and decided to go the more authentic route. I did a ton of research which brought me to purchasing a 18.5" WSM.

I have used it 4 times and before even seasoning it I installed a seal around the dome and access door to prevent hot air leakage which has worked perfect.

I understand that using a WSM like any thing requires a learning curve. I however have been have a hard time maintaining temperature. Yesterday it was about 80* outside with a slight breeze. I was smoking on my deck which has an overhang but the sides are open. I use the minion method and start it with approx. 20 hot coals and a water pan about 3/4 of the way full of hot water. As soon as I added the hot coals from the chimney to the WSM I put the body on and had all 3 intakes wide open and the exhaust side open as well. It took a while (35-40 minutes) but the smoker finally reached 225* (according to me igrill2 pit probe). I opened it up and put in a couple of racks of ribs and covered it back up again. The temperature never made it back to 225* (and I didn't even touch the intakes) it stalled around 210* and started dropping again. I added roughly 10 more hot coals and before putting the body back on I waited a bit for the coals to catch. After doing so the temp went up to 300*. Which is when I slowly started closing intakes so that they were about 3/4 closed. After doing so it did a decent job making a temp of around 240*.

My question is, before assembling the top, should I leave the top off for a bit to allows to catch a little more? It's as if as soon as I add the coals they don't really want to come to the party and light the other coals haha. I thought maybe my charcoal was defective (Kingsford blue) but it's been kept dry in my shed since purchase bag looked dry as well. Do you have any ideas what I may have done wrong? I have been following everyones tips on here step for step.

Your opinions and ideas are welcome!
-Joe

You said it "never" made it back up to temp. How long was that? Adding meat (along with a 3/4 pan of water) requires "time". You said it initially took 35-40 mins. Remember, you let most of the heat out putting on the meat and then continued heating the water.

Also, 35-40 mins. is okay for bringing up the temp. Go without water and you'll heat quicker.

Did you put hot water in the pan? Cold water will absorb a lot of the heat.

IMO, leaving the lid off so it can get up to temp faster is not a bad idea, but you would need to cover it about 200F to try to stabilize it at 225 or so. This is easier with a temperature controlled unit since putting the lid on basically creates a semi-vacuum-like environment.

I've often wanted to try to add boiling water to the pan since it (212F) is just under the minimum 225F range for smoking.

I use a small 4X4 wall to block any wind from blowing the heat away. You may want to think about that.

Let's see what the other people have to say.

Try going without water. And then try lump charcoal instead of briquettes, it burns hotter and you don't need a big fire at all to hold 225-250 temps, I keep two of the intakes closed, and open one intake and the exhaust about 1/3rd of the way. I basically use the minion method (adding some kit coals to a bed of unlit coals), starting with about two handfuls of lit lump.

You said it "never" made it back up to temp. How long was that? Adding meat (along with a 3/4 pan of water) requires "time". You said it initially took 35-40 mins. Remember, you let most of the heat out putting on the meat and then continued heating the water.

Also, 35-40 mins. is okay for bringing up the temp. Go without water and you'll heat quicker.

You may have a decent point... I didn't wait as long as I did prior to putting the meat in. I started to freak when the temp came up to like 215 and then started dropping again. That's when I abandoned the smoking plan. I guess I should have stuck it out and seen if it started to climb again. I will be doing a pork shoulder this Friday so I will definitely chime back in again with results and pics. Thank you for the input!

Did you put hot water in the pan? Cold water will absorb a lot of the heat.

IMO, leaving the lid off so it can get up to temp faster is not a bad idea, but you would need to cover it about 200F to try to stabilize it at 225 or so. This is easier with a temperature controlled unit since putting the lid on basically creates a semi-vacuum-like environment.

I've often wanted to try to add boiling water to the pan since it (212F) is just under the minimum 225F range for smoking.

I use a small 4X4 wall to block any wind from blowing the heat away. You may want to think about that.

Let's see what the other people have to say.

Hot tap water was put in the pan. I think this time I am going to leave the body off after adding the hot coals for a few minutes to promote them to catch a bit.

Try going without water. And then try lump charcoal instead of briquettes, it burns hotter and you don't need a big fire at all to hold 225-250 temps, I keep two of the intakes closed, and open one intake and the exhaust about 1/3rd of the way. I basically use the minion method (adding some kit coals to a bed of unlit coals), starting with about two handfuls of lit lump.

I have read about the lump coal and without water methods. However so many people have used regular charcoal and weber makes the smoker with a water pan, so I would really love to just get it right the intended way first before experimenting ya know? I'm stubborn or enjoy torture haha.

I have read about the lump coal and without water methods. However so many people have used regular charcoal and weber makes the smoker with a water pan, so I would really love to just get it right the intended way first before experimenting ya know? I'm stubborn or enjoy torture haha.

The water pan isn't there to 'get it right', it's there as a crutch for people who have their vents open too much, it helps keep temp down by absorbing excess heat.

Kingsford should work just fine. I just prefer lump because it produces less ash and doesn't have that chemical smell as it's getting going.

The water pan isn't there to 'get it right', it's there as a crutch for people who have their vents open too much, it helps keep temp down by absorbing excess heat.

Kingsford should work just fine. I just prefer lump because it produces less ash and doesn't have that chemical smell as it's getting going.

Hey Dustin, I get what you're saying regarding the water pan. I think the next test I do I'm going to wait a few minutes before assembling the body to allow the coals to catch a little more. If that doesn't work then I'm definitely going to go waterless and see if that helps. I also have sand that I was thinking of using instead of water in the pan. I just don't want to introduce to many variables. The lump coal does sound enticing as I really hate the chemical smell. They may be in my next purchase to home depot. Thank you for your tips!

Hey Dustin, I get what you're saying regarding the water pan. I think the next test I do I'm going to wait a few minutes before assembling the body to allow the coals to catch a little more. If that doesn't work then I'm definitely going to go waterless and see if that helps. I also have sand that I was thinking of using instead of water in the pan. I just don't want to introduce to many variables. The lump coal does sound enticing as I really hate the chemical smell. They may be in my next purchase to home depot. Thank you for your tips!

You can also just start firing it up earlier, assuming you have time, and let the fire grow on it's own. I typically start about an hour before I plan to put food on, and let the cooker slowly come up to temp to make sure I don't overshoot.

There's lots of ways to skin the cat, none are better than another, just find something that works for you and stick to it. I got into smoking with a Big Green Egg, where it's really easy to overshoot your target temp, and then impossible to bring the temp back down. That background definitely influences how I use my WSM!

I think you are approaching it the right way. There's a learning curve to this and some of us started with water in the pan and then shifted to just foiling the water pan and learning a new way to do it. Others use a clay saucer. I tried that for a long time and it worked. Every method produced good Q but I had to learn which method I liked the best. There is only one right method for YOU and that's the one you settle on. Experimenting is fun. Enjoy the learning and eat your mistakes. They still taste good.

You panicked. Been there, done that, and still survived. With experience you'll develop a feel for this and, trust me, it gets easier. Pork Butts are very forgiving and teach us patience. Have fun.

You may have a decent point... I didn't wait as long as I did prior to putting the meat in. I started to freak when the temp came up to like 215 and then started dropping again. That's when I abandoned the smoking plan. I guess I should have stuck it out and seen if it started to climb again. I will be doing a pork shoulder this Friday so I will definitely chime back in again with results and pics. Thank you for the input!

If you are going to be doing longer cooks (pork shoulders, briskest, etc.) you might want to invest in an ATC. Best thing about it is you start your charcoal, set the ATC and it will get you to temp fast and reliable. You get to sleep, shop, drink, play, swim or whatever and don't have to worry about your temps. Also, If you add meat, add sauce, etc., the ATC will get you back to temp.

Although, I know some people like "dialing" it in themselves so they can say "they" control their smoke. But, temperature is temperature. The uniqueness of smoking is wood, rub, times/tenderness, sauce, etc. I don't fault anyone who "does it themselves", but I prefer spend my time doing other things.

Joseph,

One critical bit of information seems to be missing from this conversation so far. When one mentions they used the Minion Method, it is generally assumed that one starts with a full (as in completely full) charcoal baskets of unlit charcoal.

How, exactly, did you start with the Minion Method ?

The one thing on the MM, is you load your unlit coals, then add your lit, assemble the cooker then add your meat. You let the WSM come up to temps until you're 25 deg shy of your target, then you start adjusting your bottom vents.
Starting an empty WSM and letting it come to temps, then lifting the lid and adding a cold sink like a big ole piece of meat is counterproductive. Why? because you just wasted alot of fuel and time.
And then you have to start over again...
I get that some like a clean burning fire but I would question the choice of fuel and smokewood?:)

Tim

Joseph,

One critical bit of information seems to be missing from this conversation so far. When one mentions they used the Minion Method, it is generally assumed that one starts with a full (as in completely full) charcoal baskets of unlit charcoal.

How, exactly, did you start with the Minion Method ?

Hey Bob, so the way I initiated the Minion Method is I filled the ring w/ unlit charcoal and a few wood chunks. Then I added roughly 20 lit charcoal briquettes into a crater in the center. Then covered it and let it come up to temp, then I added the meat.

You can also just start firing it up earlier, assuming you have time, and let the fire grow on it's own. I typically start about an hour before I plan to put food on, and let the cooker slowly come up to temp to make sure I don't overshoot.

There's lots of ways to skin the cat, none are better than another, just find something that works for you and stick to it. I got into smoking with a Big Green Egg, where it's really easy to overshoot your target temp, and then impossible to bring the temp back down. That background definitely influences how I use my WSM!

Dustin, you're absolutely correct about skinning the cat. The first few times I overshot and then I think I smothered the coals trying to come back down. The last time it was so much more comforting coming up nice and slow to the temperature. But it definitely is a trial and error process until I get comfy with the smoker. I'm used to setting it and forgetting it.

I think you are approaching it the right way. There's a learning curve to this and some of us started with water in the pan and then shifted to just foiling the water pan and learning a new way to do it. Others use a clay saucer. I tried that for a long time and it worked. Every method produced good Q but I had to learn which method I liked the best. There is only one right method for YOU and that's the one you settle on. Experimenting is fun. Enjoy the learning and eat your mistakes. They still taste good.

You panicked. Been there, done that, and still survived. With experience you'll develop a feel for this and, trust me, it gets easier. Pork Butts are very forgiving and teach us patience. Have fun.

You're absolutely correct! Thank you for the comforting words! It's nice to know that other people have been in my shoes.

If you are going to be doing longer cooks (pork shoulders, briskest, etc.) you might want to invest in an ATC. Best thing about it is you start your charcoal, set the ATC and it will get you to temp fast and reliable. You get to sleep, shop, drink, play, swim or whatever and don't have to worry about your temps. Also, If you add meat, add sauce, etc., the ATC will get you back to temp.

Although, I know some people like "dialing" it in themselves so they can say "they" control their smoke. But, temperature is temperature. The uniqueness of smoking is wood, rub, times/tenderness, sauce, etc. I don't fault anyone who "does it themselves", but I prefer spend my time doing other things.

An ATC is in my near future. However, I do enjoy the fun of using charcoal. It's almost like a science to get it right.

The one thing on the MM, is you load your unlit coals, then add your lit, assemble the cooker then add your meat. You let the WSM come up to temps until you're 25 deg shy of your target, then you start adjusting your bottom vents.
Starting an empty WSM and letting it come to temps, then lifting the lid and adding a cold sink like a big ole piece of meat is counterproductive. Why? because you just wasted alot of fuel and time.
I get that some like a clean burning fire but I would question the choice of fuel and smokewood?:)

Tim

Tim, that makes complete sense! I definitely agree with your thinking. I think this Friday I will start with the meat inside the cooker and let it come to temperature.

Tim

Quick question Tim. If I use the minion method and place the meat in as soon as I add the lit coals, will the meat taste funny? I was reading that people like to wait for the "blue smoke" before adding meat and to let the smoker get to equilibrium.

Dustin, you're absolutely correct about skinning the cat. The first few times I overshot and then I think I smothered the coals trying to come back down. The last time it was so much more comforting coming up nice and slow to the temperature. But it definitely is a trial and error process until I get comfy with the smoker. I'm used to setting it and forgetting it.

You'll get there before you know it I suspect. Once you get comfortable with your process, and learn about where the vents need to be set (which will not be the exact same every cook, since every fire is different, different weather conditions, etc), you'll be able to dial it in quickly and then it'll be just fine without you messing with it till the food is ready. With mine I add the lit coals, put the vents about where they need to be, and then typically only adjust them once or twice to dial it in exactly where I want, and then I don't touch them again until the cook is done and I close everything up to snuff out the fire.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words Dustin! I hope that's very soon! I'll let you guys know how Friday night goes. I'm doing a pork shoulder. I hope with all the tips I've received I can dial it in and keep it going all night.

Quick question Tim. If I use the minion method and place the meat in as soon as I add the lit coals, will the meat taste funny? I was reading that people like to wait for the "blue smoke" before adding meat and to let the smoker get to equilibrium.

I never noticed that, but My choice of fuel and wood dictates that.:)
Some use KBB and let the heavy white smoke burn off. If you use MM the way I do it only takes an hour to stabilize your temps and the TBS is pretty close to that time also.
I should note that I hatchet my wood into smaller pieces, a 2" x 3" I'll split into halves or quarters. It get's you out of the heavy white smoke ( quicker) and into the TBS that we all love:wsm:

BBQ is not written in stone, so the best way is to experiment and learn how Your WSM runs in your backyard.

Tim

I never noticed that, but My choice of fuel and wood dictates that.:)
Some use KBB and let the heavy white smoke burn off. If you use MM the way I do it only takes an hour to stabilize your temps and the TBS is pretty close to that time also.
I should note that I hatchet my wood into smaller pieces, a 2" x 3" I'll split into halves or quarters. It get's you out of the heavy white smoke ( quicker) and into the TBS that we all love:wsm:

BBQ is not written in stone, so the best way is to experiment and learn how Your WSM runs in your backyard.

Tim

Thanks Tim!

Back