Any Landscapers Here?

Rusty James

TVWBB Emerald Member
Last edited:
Cotoneaster.

It can be as big or as small as you want. Just trim it to maintain the size you want.

Plant about 12-15" apart (depends on how "thick" you want it). Plants are usually 1' tall when you get them.

This is ONE source: https://gardeningwithcharlie.com/grow-cotoneaster.html He goes into mulching, etc but when we planted ours, other than occasional watering when new, we totally neglected it (trimming notwithstanding) and it did just fine. This is when we lived in Alberta where the winters (with wind) can get down to -50oF.

Rusty,

Privet is the way to go on this end of the state. I think mine are spaced at 2.5 feet and grew together into a continuous hedge. I've planted Hostas beneath them which look great.

My HOA adds a Crepe Myrtle after every 2 privets in the common areas. I works quite well.

Let me know if you want some pics.

Jim

Plan on lots of pruning if you go privet, at least with whatever variety we planted in the mid 90's.

_CWUQFZ8Q41TY97jL5UnYG3sN-j0Pr9YMbnXiyeLjEVtwIHATbcM43tyfSfW3VwBEH1T_vsLp2LrrpWJAderHv5FBJqjnYPU9Hc9Xgdn6UneVglt4qaEAhyDzAUQzKDpF8RgauKmj76PoxBD44lzqfSMcJmeJvuI5K02zSVQ9tEAytyL9nFjACiSM8egB9rtfzkLa4Wx4_9_P8crp49y7AkV_sFsqWLpUEe8ckzxCuJkDXkPOwN-QwUb1HzHNoACClb8p2W3KvRshlvKFayMUjHh9raF3kzBnlw-CQqMxf5s9yOebMsyjVNk0pPmBHIzlXhMXwqNTJyRm5cBPpxN28CAvhFpTJpNihYZ_piAoAne2c8xEQK-5BKFRaguG4o-zjSmLfx-um2cfyOYQfm3j4xSQpN3ZpLIqi-t42QpjcfjfHBpwhptXpAySD18OSZduP9bNXbTGmILgSoVcnDiSAX5LumL_BjsAQtBROPBGYv4R5DtIBOlvf_NgEJKVmE-T_6cL4heqijbYSTAbTHSgcSQJdt0kU6P9C4TbhynOLnXALFnVVuJGUwnl8jrpN0YA60THHccgsVrl5pECbsW7Fw-ZswzTweQlMRYpRJdO-O8YoE5=w1292-h805-no

Holly or boxwood maybe?

I like Nandina a lot as well. Interesting foliage and color. Standard Nandina will be about the size you need. There are smaller varieties too.

Bob - I have those in Wisconsin. They're a different plant than a NC Privet.

JRPfeff, Bob brings up an interesting point. Much of the info I have pulled up online suggests privet can get out of control if not pruned often. The East Bay variety, or so I'm told by a nursery, needs trimming at least twice a year. Has that been the case with you? The nursery has this variety planted at the entrance of their business, but the plant is not trimmed in anyway and allowed to grow as is. It was about 5 to 6 feet high (and about as wide), and sort of looked like big snowballs, for lack of better terms.

Many thanks for pictures!

Holly or boxwood maybe?

I like Nandina a lot as well. Interesting foliage and color. Standard Nandina will be about the size you need. There are smaller varieties too.

I thought about holly, but not sure if I care for the pointy leaves. I'll check on the boxwood and Nandina.

EDIT: Just found out the stuff in my front yard is Nandina. It's pretty, but it doesn't grow that thick.

Last edited:
Arbor Vitae would look nice. Low maintenance as well. Just a thought.

Haven't heard of that one, but it's worth a look see. Thanks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cotoneaster.

It can be as big or as small as you want. Just trim it to maintain the size you want.

Plant about 12-15" apart (depends on how "thick" you want it). Plants are usually 1' tall when you get them.

This is ONE source: https://gardeningwithcharlie.com/grow-cotoneaster.html He goes into mulching, etc but when we planted ours, other than occasional watering when new, we totally neglected it (trimming notwithstanding) and it did just fine. This is when we lived in Alberta where the winters (with wind) can get down to -50oF.

Thanks for the link, Len Dennis.

Hollies are cheap security fence,excellant under windows.
Boxwood grow slow and need to be trimed ,more during the cooler wet months than the hot.
Aborvidies can be found in drawf or standard growth, they grow up fast ,harty,little to no triming, great as a sound wall, or wind wall, handle cold winters and heavy wet snow.

JRPfeff, Bob brings up an interesting point. Much of the info I have pulled up online suggests privet can get out of control if not pruned often. The East Bay variety, or so I'm told by a nursery, needs trimming at least twice a year. Has that been the case with you? The nursery has this variety planted at the entrance of their business, but the plant is not trimmed in anyway and allowed to grow as is. It was about 5 to 6 feet high (and about as wide), and sort of looked like big snowballs, for lack of better terms.

Many thanks for pictures!
Rusty,

I trim them once a year with my hedge trimmer. I occasionally have to prune some stray growth that pops out of the plants.

Jim

Last edited:
Check out the Green Giant Arborvitae. They grow up to 3 ft per year and best of all don't lose any leaves in the winter. I have the emerald green variety on my back fence and they are doing quite well. The only maintenance issue is having to tie them up for the winter so the snow doesn't bend the branches.

Back