Neighbor put his Genesis E-310 LP out on the street

RJ Spomer

TVWBB Member
My neighbor put his grill out on the street and I grabbed it. I have an old redhead but I could not let this go to the scrap metal guys that drive by all the time.

The cook box is corroded out at the burner entrance. The floor of the cabinet is rusted out but the flavor bars grate and burners and doors look great. I called my neighbor and he said it would be fine for me to contact Weber in his name. Weber wants pictures before warrantying the cook box.

How do these compare to the old redhead as far as cooking. I want to change this out to Natural gas so if someone wants a swap I got your parts. Also would like to add the side burner.

The floor of the cabinet from Weber is $66 + $7 for shipping.

Anything I should know?

Also how do you guys add photos? I'll post them

Thanks RJ

My neighbor put his grill out on the street and I grabbed it. I have an old redhead but I could not let this go to the scrap metal guys that drive by all the time.

The cook box is corroded out at the burner entrance. The floor of the cabinet is rusted out but the flavor bars grate and burners and doors look great. I called my neighbor and he said it would be fine for me to contact Weber in his name. Weber wants pictures before warrantying the cook box.

How do these compare to the old redhead as far as cooking. I want to change this out to Natural gas so if someone wants a swap I got your parts. Also would like to add the side burner.

The floor of the cabinet from Weber is $66 + $7 for shipping.

Anything I should know?

Also how do you guys add photos? I'll post them

Thanks RJ

OK Photo
IMG_0457_zpsyf0wqndy.jpg

Converting over to NG can be doable, but it might be cost prohibitive and comes with some issues if you can't find someone to swap manifold's. Also, adding a side burner is kind of tricky as you'd have to replace the left side table, add in the burner and get a manifold that has the opening to accept the side burner gas line.

It's not just orifices on many Weber grills. You either have to replace the valves or modify them to get them to work properly going from LP to NG. Going the other way there is NO way to get them to work properly as low and medium settings will stay at the same heat output. It's NOT hard to do but it is exacting

Correct, I have done a few conversions in these going from NG to LP but not the other way around.. For NG to LP, the orifaces did the job with no discernable difference in output between the original and converted models

Edit : but... And its a big but..YMMV

I have the NG orifaces if you need

I have the hose and quick disconnect. I have read that the switch to NG the valve may be to low and may not keep a flame but should work ok on med and high.

I am interested in your orifices. What do you want with postage?

Last edited:
Has anyone reworked the valve assembly for NG?

Yes I have. It is the ONLY way to do it correctly. Like I said earlier. It is not "hard" to do but it is exacting and requires patience. If you do not do the conversion correctly you will only have 2 actual settings low and high.

Yes I have. It is the ONLY way to do it correctly. Like I said earlier. It is not "hard" to do but it is exacting and requires patience. If you do not do the conversion correctly you will only have 2 actual settings low and high.

Hey thanks, Being a professional custom woodworker and electrician I am able to follow exacting details and have the patience skills and tools to do this kind of work. Are you willing to detail the procedure? Maybe on a email separate from this thread if you would like.

Fow what it's worth, while Weber will only sell you a manifold that matches up with your SN, I believe Ereplacements, applianancefactoryparts and other similar sites will sell you whatever you add to your cart. E320 manifold with proper valves, orifices and spud for the side burner is less than $100.

Honestly I am not good at detailing stuff like that. I just tend to go by my "gut". Basically you need a good set of numeric drill bits and a hand tool to hold them (I don't use a power drill for this). I measure each opening using a go/no go procedure with the shank end of the bits. Whatever the med/low orifices are I go to the next size up on both. I then try it making sure there is good differentiation between settings and the flame is steady on low. Use the write up Chris did on the other forum http://virtualwebergasgrill.com/ to show how to disassemble the valves. I would take this time to clean and lube them. Note too Weber uses 2 different types of valves. Some with set orifice sizes for med/low and some with a continuously variable design. Externally they look the same. If you have the CV type no mod is needed just swap orifices and go

Honestly I am not good at detailing stuff like that. I just tend to go by my "gut". Basically you need a good set of numeric drill bits and a hand tool to hold them (I don't use a power drill for this). I measure each opening using a go/no go procedure with the shank end of the bits. Whatever the med/low orifices are I go to the next size up on both. I then try it making sure there is good differentiation between settings and the flame is steady on low. Use the write up Chris did on the other forum http://virtualwebergasgrill.com/ to show how to disassemble the valves. I would take this time to clean and lube them. Note too Weber uses 2 different types of valves. Some with set orifice sizes for med/low and some with a continuously variable design. Externally they look the same. If you have the CV type no mod is needed just swap orifices and go

Thanks alot for the information I understand the procedure and will cleanup the redheads valves they really do need it. The Genesis E-310 will also be worked on and it is the one needing the conversion. I have a friend with a manometer so I can then dial in the right size orifices and if need be I can open up the valve openings holes. There is so much disinformation out there that it can get confusing. One company that has a conversion kit sells a NG manifold, hose and fittings for $139.00. Another sells the kit with orifices blank you drill but if you buy the hose and regulator they will drill out the orifices. He stated that there is no need for the manifold just the orifices and regulator. He dials in the orifices to match up to the regulator.

My conclusion is Weber sells their NG grills with a manifold with orifices for 7"wc which most residences have. Commercial can be quite bit more. This looks like a crap shoot. The fella selling the orifices and the regulator, hose setup is dialing in the setup better but claimed the valve body is the same only the orifices change from LP to NG. This maybe correct on the newer models but the older ones had a staged opening for the different settings.

Thanks for all the help

I was able to get a new cook box under warranty and purchase the bottom completely rusted out cabinet floor for $39.00 and a cover for $39.00 from Weber. Now to see how this unit stacks up to my old redhead.
IMG_0478_zpsib57oez2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0473_zpssmzfafvc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Holy smoke that thing had SOME kind of fire in it! I just don't understand people. They buy an expensive appliance and do nothing to maintain it.

More grills for us. I just sold a Q200 today and the couple called back and want my Q300. I have about $40 invested in both grills total. Just some paint and cleaning supplies....Oh, labor as well...but I do it for a hobby, not to get rich, but I make enough to buy some more cast offs.

Yah, I think many people treat these grills as disposable. Certainly with the Char-Broil and other off brands, but these weber grills will last ten years without any problems if they are maintained. And then it is just a burner, igniter, grate or flavorizer bars to bring it back to life.

You can completely replace the guts on most older Weber Genesis grills for a little over $100 and have a basically new $500 grill if it was not abused.

The only thing I did not like was that this is a E-310 and does not have the side burner. I checked pricing and it was going to be more than I wanted to pay so I thought I would look again at Craigslist. I found one $200.00 I asked the seller to send me photo. No way it was also rusted out the same way. I offered him $50 he took it. I will pull the usable parts off of it and upgrade the other with the burner. May have to swap the manifold if the other does not have a opening for the gas line to the side burner. The side burner never was used not even a little grease.

00V0V_joUmigXj1so_1200x900_zpszoqhhsqx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I initially thought of scraping this one after swapping part but I just hate to do that. I may try to repair the side panels with angle iron and put a 3/4" PVC bottom in this one. Anyone have examples or ideas for repair of this terrible design?
IMG_0480_zpsaerosoun.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back