Smoke Hollow combination gas and charcoal gril

I've seen them before but, never "in hand", so to speak. The combination of the two sources makes a little sense, but, not all hybridization is good. Look at the large but tasteless meats we have bred for size and lost flavor.
That might be a little extreme but, I think you can see what I mean.
In short, I'd just get a 22" Weber and spend the rest of this summer learning how to use it wisely.

I think these are a good idea, but like most multi-purpose devices, compromises are made and what you end up with is something that does several things adequately rather than one thing really well. If you've got limited space or have other factors (e.g.: a homeowner's association or certain co-habitant that won't allow multiple outdoor cookers), I guess they're OK, but realize the trade-offs involved.

I think Chris A. said it best about combo grills.

"Whenever I see these gas/charcoal combo grills, I always wonder if one half works well and one half sucks, or if both halves are sub-optimal, and if the potential buyer would be better off just buying separate grills."

Yes, I already have a Weber 22" and looking to replace my gas grill that got wacked by a recent hail storm. I totally agree that on the surface the combination looks tempting, but like you said in cases like this you usually sacrifice something. Would never give up my Weber.

Back