Belated Corned Beef and Cabbage

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
I picked up this Corned Beef at Costco a couple of weeks ago and it was our intent to have it on St. Patrick's Day. Unfortunately life got in the way and we couldn't. Finally got around to it yesterday. For the past two years our Costco has carried Snake River Farms Corned Beef. Once again I splurged and picked out this beauty. 3.86 lbs at $7-99/lb. Yeeouch!!
Even the girl at the register thought I was nuts. Sure glad I did however. This tops any corned beef I've ever done. Used my Weber recipe that I've used each year for a long time. I tweaked the grill time a little due to the weight of the meat.

Veggies in a deep foil pan. Carrots, celery, onion and crushed garlic.

Here it is.

Sitting on the bed of veggies shown in photo number one. Then added one 28 oz. can of San Marzano Tomatoes with sauce. Topped with seasoning.

Refilled the empty can with water and added it to the pan.

Covered tightly with heavy duty foil and on the grill over indirect heat for 3 hours.

Added a dozen small red potatoes, halved. They're in there, they just sank.

Finally the cabbage wedges.

Resealed with foil and back on the grill for an hour and fifteen minutes.

After over four hours I pulled and let the meat sit for around 5 minutes and then sliced it up.

Last edited:

Plated.

As I said at the top of the post, this was the best corned beef I've ever done. Meat was tender, moist and bursting with flavor. Wanted to mention when I went to the market looking for Rye Bread there was only one loaf remaining and it was is rough shape. Their stock hadn't recovered after St. Patricks Day. Didn't feel like running all over town so we settled for a loaf of Walnut Leavin Bread I'd made earlier.

This was amazing. Delicious loaf. Didn't care for the staining the roasted walnuts did to the bread, but the flavor made up.

As long as I'm on bread, here is a loaf of Tartine Country Bread (Chad Robertson recipe) I made earlier in the week. Great flavor but very poor crumb. Will give it a second try in a few days.

Anyway, that's it everyone. Hope you all had a great weekend. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Well Cliff that one was definitely worth the wait! The plated pic is pure loveliness. As as always your bread is beautiful. Great job!

I didn't get any corned beef this year, but am now wishing I hadn't passed up the SNR stuff I saw at CostCo! That looks out of this world, good, Cliff. Your bread looks just like the photo in FWSY.....I'm not sure how to avoid the walnut stains, seems to alway happen, probably need to blanch them or something. Sorry you didn't like the crumb in the Tartine loaf, looks great from the outside!

.....you need to make your own rye bread.... :) Phil's 40% Rye

R

Last edited:
That CB is just killer Cliff, love the way you did it up too. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet to get the best of the best.

Great looking bread as always Cliff. You might want to take a look at this one. I've made this rye a couple of times and it has great flavor.

http://breadtopia.com/sourdough-rye-bread/

Last edited:
Cliff, that CB is to die for. I love the stuff and plan on doing another during the summer. Rich and I got our CB at Costco and it was outstanding so we went back and got another. There is nothing better then CB on Rye with lots of mustard.

Back