Weber Ranch Kettle

Brian Bigelow

TVWBB Member
Anybody have the weber ranch kettle and if so how does it work as a smoker if you wanted to use it for that purpose. I have a chance to get one for 200 dollars.

That's a lot of $$$ for a kettle, unless it's a performer or a new 26" kettle.

They can be used as a smoker just fine - i get 6-8 hours of untended fire at 250. You may have space issues, though.

The best part of the kettle is itts versatility - grill, oven (grill-roast), smoker.

...i'd buy a ranch kettle for 200
icon_biggrin.gif
in a milwaukee minute.

Amen Jim!

Id love to find a Ranch, and for that cheap. Its just hard to justify the price, when compared to the 26". Id think, if it was a Ranch, that it would do just fine. For me using a smaller 22" kettle, as a smoker, is a pain, atleast for me. Id think the larger area would allow for longer burn time, and easier temp control.

I'll give the contrarian viewpoint here.

Since I got my Performer, it's my smoker of choice for small amounts of stuff to be smoked (one chicken, one pork butt).

The WSM is great for a crowd, but the cleanup of the Performer tips the scale for smaller jobs. And now that the kids are grown and gone, it's more smaller jobs for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Bigelow:
Ranch kettle....my mistake </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It would be a mistake not to get it,$200 sounds like a deal to me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don Irish:
It would be against all of the natural laws of the known universe to not jump on that.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Especially if it's an old 3 leg redhead Rancher
icon_eek.gif

000_0215.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kent Perry:
I'll give the contrarian viewpoint here.

Since I got my Performer, it's my smoker of choice for small amounts of stuff to be smoked (one chicken, one pork butt).

The WSM is great for a crowd, but the cleanup of the Performer tips the scale for smaller jobs. And now that the kids are grown and gone, it's more smaller jobs for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is almost exactly what I was going to say. So...x's 2.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Kramer:
I think he means a Ranch kettle Jay. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, in that case, buy that sucker. If you don't let me know where it is, you're only a few miles up 71...

It does fabulous as a smoker! And, boy, people's eyes pop when they see it, unlike any other grill you might have!

I have done 24 slabs of ribs, whole hogs (~50 lbs), and 6 packer briskets at once. For the 6 briskets, I used 2 Weber warming racks, and laid an oven grate between them, creating a second level. Turned out great.

And yes, for $200, you should buy it just on principle. I wouldn't even quibble about the price, I would just go grab it as fast as I can, almost regardless of condition. It would have to be a complete basket case to not buy it!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Bigelow:
Anybody have the weber kettle and if so how does it work as a smoker if you wanted to use it for that purpose. I have a chance to get one for 200 dollars. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you end up not wanting/getting it, any chance you would share where to buy it?

Back