Replacing the thermometer in my 18.5 WSM with Tel-Tru

Chris Hosston

TVWBB Member
Hi. Does anyone know what Tel-tru thermometer will fit in place of my original thermometer on my 18.5 WSM. The original is highly inaccurate. I just put a digital thermometer in the exhaust holes a few inches in while cooking and the WSM thermometer was reading 225 while the digital was reading 280. WOW! what a difference. Hopefully there is a Tel-tru that will fit in the WSM.

I agree with the inaccuracies of the "stock" Weber thermometer. I have a 14.5 and a new digital thermometer I used for the first time. It showed 312 (I am doing a whole chicken), but the Weber showed 260. Not even close. Is this normal?

The position of the therm on the lid and a therm at the grate will account for most inaccuracies. The first thing to do is check the lid therm using the method in the second post. I would recommend checking every therm you use with this method. Different therm locations will give you different temps. This is caused by the air currents in the smoker.

The position of the therm on the lid and a therm at the grate will account for most inaccuracies. The first thing to do is check the lid therm using the method in the second post. I would recommend checking every therm you use with this method. Different therm locations will give you different temps. This is caused by the air currents in the smoker.

I'll need to do the boil test because the Weber thermometer minimum temp is like 100 degrees. I'll try it after my smoke today and post back. I think I need a new thermometer though.

If you go down the replacement road, as Dwain has linked, may I suggest you purchase some heat resistant fibre washers. They're cheap as chips.
Place one under each metal washer on both the inside & outside of the lid. This will allow you to snug up the nut, on the inside, & reduce the risk of cracking the porcelain.

Back